Hi! I'm new and wanted to say "Hi"

festivitydesigns
on 12/30/08 7:23 am
Hi

I am new to this group and wanted to check in and say "Hi".  I'm 48 years old and happily married with one teenage son.  I am hoping to have my surgery in February, as my insurance company denied the first attempt  and I'm now in the appeal process.  I have Aetna and was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them.

I am patiently (okay, not too patiently) awaiting insurance approval so that I can set a date for my surgery.  I'm so happy that I found this 40's group and hope to make some new friends and share stories.

Pam
hazzard
on 1/2/09 9:35 am
Welcome Pam.
sweetmarie1
on 1/10/09 4:32 am - Carson, CA
Hi Pam....
I am also pretty new to the WLS 40's...but i am glad to be here...I am sure you will get the answers to your questions....wish I could help but I dont have the same insurance as you...Take care and Welcome...

CarolS08
on 1/12/09 1:26 am - Sheridan, IN

Hi Pam and Everyone,

This is the first time I have been to this part of the site.  I didn't know this existed.  I have enjoyed what I have seen and will continue to visit.

I am 49, married and have 2 children-18 & 22.  I had a lap RNY on 5/15/08.  I had my gallbladder removed on 11/13/08.

Carol

287          /271                 /154      /130-150
Heaviest/Day of Surgery/Current/Goal

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
                                      Eleanor Roosevelt
nancyjoy
on 1/14/09 6:30 pm - Columbia, MD
Hi Pam,

I'm new too. In fact I just had my surgery a week ago. Have you gotten the ok from Aetna yet?
I have the Aetna Open Access HMO and had no trouble getting approval. When I went to the
surgeon for the first time, they gave me a list of hoops that I needed to jump through  before they'd send it off to the insurance. So by the time (about 7 months later) they sent my request, it was approved in about 3 days. (This after being told it could take a month.)   Let me know what happens.  

Nancy
animal1lover
on 3/4/09 7:25 am
Hi Nancy,

Linda here.  I visit this site occasionally.  But saw you had your surgery a week ago.  Lap or Bypass?  Thanks just looking for the "real deal" on pain and all. Im bypass in April hopefully.
nancyjoy
on 3/4/09 8:30 am - Columbia, MD
 Hi Linda, 

I'm at 8 weeks now with bypass. What would you like to know?  As for pain, it was more painful than I expected, but it didn't last that long. After about 5 days I was taking tylenol instead of the narcotics. Also, they found a hernia that they fixed when they did the surgery, so I'm not sure how much of the pain was from that.  Worse than the pain, was the pain from eating at the beginning. I'd be happy to share the details if  you want.     -- Nancy
animal1lover
on 3/4/09 10:14 am

Well I guess I am wondering, what if anything were you not prepared for and how was it coming home?  Any recommendations so far?
Thanks  I'd love to hear what your experiencing and hope that it gets better and easier each day for you.
Linda

nancyjoy
on 3/10/09 6:19 am - Columbia, MD
 Hi,
My internet has  been down for awhile - sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.
The number one thing I wasn't prepared for is that it hurt to get in and out of chairs, and bed was pretty much impossible. It only lasted for a few days, but I didn't expect it. My other awful experience was from eating the day after I got home. Some doctors tell you to stay on a liquid diet for awhile.
Mine believes in eating pureed food right away. So I had about 1/4 of a fluffy scrambled egg. It went down fine, but must have been too much, because I was in agony for the next 12 hours.  I couldn't drink anything - I guess the egg was stuck in my stomach. I finally called the doctor and he said to sip water all day until the egg goes through. It was really awful, but I learned something very important.  Sorry if I gross you out, but what I learned was that if I ever feel anywhere near that, I go to the bathroom and look at the toilet and let myself throw up until I feel better.  I know it sounds disgusting,  but it's such an awful feeling to have too much in there.  From reading this site, it seems
like some people can eat a lot more than me. I'm 9 weeks this week, and I can still only take a few bites.   I'm getting plenty of protein though with powders, and I feel good.  I can't believe how much better I feel now than at the beginning, so if it is hard at the beginning, try to tell yourself that it really doesn't last long.
Hope this helps (and doesn't gross you out too much!)
Nancy
animal1lover
on 3/11/09 9:59 am
Nancy,
Thank you so much for the information. I need to know the truth.  the truth is power.  I would rather have no surprises then be caught off gard.  Im glad to hear your feeling better.  So which powders did you find you liked?  Are feeling better and loosing already?  I guess your taking your vitamins.  Please pass on any helful info you have.  Keep me posted, thanks for getting back.
Linda 
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 279 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 540 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 527 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3588 views