RNY & MENOPAUSE

All-Of-Me1023
on 2/21/09 10:54 pm

Hi there everyone. This site is great. I expected to find useful information but the support is a blessing.  I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 11/05 @ age 43 yo. So I am in surgical menopause and have seen that weight loss is difficult at best. My psych eval is this week and all that's left is my BCBS approval and booking the date.

My question is - Are there any meno gals out there that are not achieving the weight loss they had hoped for with the RNY. Very curious and anxious to know if I'm going to get the results I want. I'm 5'2" 264# and would like to lose 120#. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Happy Sunday!

Mariah
on 2/23/09 9:46 am - Richmond, IN
Well Im 45 but not menopausal yet....but I did great with my rny!  Good Luck

This is my favorite site for Healthy Recipes

http://www.bakespace.com/loginjoin/invite/8491

This is my favorite online site for shopping

http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=190995

SherylR
on 2/28/09 5:56 am - Richlands, NC
Hello, I hope you're having a great weekend!  This is my first time on this board but I'm finding it is a great resource!  Ok, I had my RNY a bit over 6 years ago and also had to have a hysterectomy, so I'm in menopause...  I have done wonderfully with my RNY, I'm 5'10" and have lost 217lbs and have kept most of it off (I've regained 25 lbs that I'm now struggling with).  I know that I gained those 25 lbs while I was on Premerin and have changed to another Rx now but can't remember the name - ugh!  Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there is success after menopause with RNY.  I wish you the best of luck!  If you have any questions please feel free to PM me!

Sheryl
Sheryl
08/22/2002 (WLS date)
425/177/238/160 (high/low/current/goal)

"Don't count the moments but make the moments count!!"
TerSue
on 7/23/09 12:14 pm - LA
Hi There!
    I had a total hysterectomy at age 29. I'm 45 now and haven't taken hormones at all the past 5 yrs. I had the RNY in March 2009 and have lost 53 lbs so far. I also am on synthroid for hypothyroid and it can slow weight loss as well but the RNY is working despite that problem too.
As my doctor says........just think protein, protein, protein, lol. I make sure I get at least 60 to 90 grams of protein a day and have had no hair loss or hunger issues since my surgery.
I lose between 2-3 lbs every 10 days now with no weight gain in between. I do have a problem getting my H2O down......its an ongoing struggle. I feel like I could lose more weight if I could drink more liquids than I currently do. Good luck with your weight loss and surgery!
    TerSue
    Louisiana

ejjy
on 7/26/09 12:43 am - Watertown, MA
hi, i'm 44 and perimenopausal ****asional night sweats etc.) and i have an abbbbbyyyyyysssmallly slow metabolism.  I had RNY surgery.  My starting BMI is relatively low (36.5) and my starting weight was 205.  So my weight loss is targetted to be around 3-5 pounds per week *on average* (which means it's not steady, it's up and down).    So far i'm hanging around 3pounds a week (15 pounds lost over 5 weeks).  I'm looking at some ways to increase that, primarily making sure i get in my daily activity (walking) and starting to adhere to a low-carb, higher protein/fats eating method on the theory that keeping insulin levels low is key to fat loss. 

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 279 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 540 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 527 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3588 views