old timers?

robynann
on 2/25/09 4:03 am - la puente, CA
Hi Ladies (and Gents)

Robyn here... 57 yrs old (yesterday) scheduled for my psychological exam on march 3rd.
Have already had the nutrition class, so hoping to get clearance from insurance company
realistically thinking end of March does that sound about right?  have not seen to many
women on this site around my age.. would love to compare notes or pick a brain!!!
Once when on the site someone referred to me as a light weight... needless to say, I was
like, "are you kidding me?" 5' 2" and 248 is what was recorded at surgeons office. 
If anyone would care to communicate with me I would love it.. Live in So Cal.
Thanks and good luck to all!

Robyn
Teresa_rn03
on 2/26/09 6:18 pm - Jasper, AL
Hey,

I am 43.  Not your age but getting closer every day.  We still have the "over 40 " thinkg to deal with, as well, I am assuming, menopause and preimenopause. 
I too am hoping for an end of March date.  I am having the Realize band done.  Lets be the sexy chreeleaders we know we are!!!  Add me as a friend, (i am not sure how to from here)  Keep me updated!!
robynann
on 2/27/09 2:34 am - la puente, CA
Hi  Teresa:

Thanks for responding. So glad for you that you are doing this in your forties.  You have that many more for years of a better quality of life.
I think I am in the last throws of menopause, have not had a normal
period in just about a year..Yayyy.  From what people  are saying,
I just wish I had done it sooner, but honestly I think the surgery
has just been perfected in the last two years or so.. especially with
the laproscopic approach.  The hubby had his gall bladder removed
that way and bounced back very quickly.  I have gotten quite a few
of the required tests done, a few more to go.  The nutrition class and the physiological exam is what is required in order to submit for approval by the insurance company. Not sure if it is the same with
all insurance companies, but that is how mine works.
Unfortunately I have plenty of the co-mobilities (is that a word, ha?)
High bp, diabetes, slightly elevated cholesterol, and others too gross to mention here.. ha.   My surgeon has  not mentioned anything about losing any weight prior to the surgery as I have read on others blogs.

My shrink appt is on march 3rd. and the closer it gets the more excited I become about the whole process.

Hope to hear from you soon and I would be glad to be your buddy through this process, since we don't have any angels..

Take care,  ( this site is not user friendly, i tried to add someone else as a friend and I could not figure it out either... but will keep plugging at it)

Robyn

All-Of-Me1023
on 2/28/09 10:17 pm
 Hi there. I am 46.  I ust had my psych eval last week. My psychiatrist was very knowledgable about the requirements for WLS. My interview lasted about 30 minutes. But then . . . I had to take that WPII (??) questionaire. It was over 500 questions about everything you can imagine. Like do you get along with your boss and do stupid people make you want to break something. Well, that's out of the way. Now I'm waiting to here from my surgeon that they've received the psych eval and my PCP's med rec's for last six months. Then it's the nutrition appt and scheduling the Big Day. Menopause bites for sure. I had a hysterectomy in 11/05. I did it all after surgery and finally just stopped HRT all together. Weight loss is futile at best w/meno. So it's RNY for me. I'm very hopeful. I "read" The Secret in my car last week. It's about the law of attraction. I am visualizing myself as a 140# gal.

It's great to have this board. My friends are either skinny or not very supportive of my decision.

robynann
on 2/28/09 11:36 pm - la puente, CA
Hello, and thank you for your response. The psych evaluation is coming up on
Tuesday of this week for me, I am excited.  So much so that I am not even dreading the endo and colonoscopy I have scheduled on Friday the 6Th. Ha! Am having the blue plate special 2 at one time.  I just hope after the psych eval is completed and all is submitted to the insurance company they don't drag their feet.  Not sure if the secret you were referring to is what I know as positive self imagery, but it sounds like it. I too visualize myself walking down the street at my normal weight, or running and playing with my Grand kids.  I love to play softball, one of my goals is to get slim enough to play again.  I saw the cardiologist last week and had my EKG. Waiting to hear from his office that insurance has approved a couple of tests, he mentioned shooting some kind of dye and looking for clogged arteries.  Not sure of your location, but I found a support group in my general area.  It meets once  week on Saturday, but I had to do some vacation coverage so I will try again next month.
You didn't mention your name but I was glad to hear from you. Drop a line
anytime, love comparing notes!

Robyn
shawnodese
on 5/18/09 1:42 am - Denton, TX
Hi Robyn... I am Robin and I had surgery in 2004.  I am currently 43.  I would offer this suggestion to any mature women having this surgery... #1 -Make the most of your first year... It is the optimal time for building good habits and losing the bulk of your excess weight.  #2 -Read ALL the material you are given on exercise and nutrition and follow it!  #3 - Do not go off the program you are given... it is much easier to remain on program than to fall off and get back on.  #4 - Men lose faster so NEVER compare yourself to how a man in the program is doing! 

On a personal level, I would do it again in a heartbeat.  It was a very good decision for ME.  Work with your support staff (surgeon, nutritionist, phyciatrist) to determine if its the best decision for YOU.

I wish you ALL the best with your upcoming surgeries. 
Robin
7-8-04

Joie
on 6/11/09 12:32 pm - Shingle Springs, CA
Hi Robyn,
I was in my 40's when I had surgery but I am now 52, still popping in OH though. If you just need a buddy or a prayer partner, just let me know. All the best to you!

Joie

Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 279 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 540 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 527 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3588 views