New to All of this except the weight

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/05 1:25 am - suburbs, MD
Hi..This is my first post after just discovering this wonderful website. I am 41..have one child and are very interested in finding out if I qualify for one of the laproscopic procedures. Can anyone give me any advice on where to begin. Do you need to see a primary care person first or is that depending on your insurance? I am 5'6" and at about 250lbs. I have tried every diet known to god and man...and feel like I am going to be swallowed by depression as I get bigger and bigger. Thanks for any help.
WandaP
on 8/29/05 5:16 am - West, TN
Here in the Memphis, Tennessee area, there are a couple of surgery for weight loss programs offered through the various hospitals. I contacted the bariatric center for weight loss at one of the hospitals and they sent me a packet with all the information in it. After receiving the packet, a referral from my general practitioner to begin the process was required. One thing to look for besides a competent surgeon is a program that offers nutritional education and support. The program I went with has a nutritionist that worked with me throughout the process. I can even call her now, 18 months out, if I have any questions. I am 5'6" and weighed 256 at the time of surgery. The only co-morbitities I had were that my blood pressure was beginning to get high and my triglycerides registered at almost 500. To qualify for the surgery, my health insurance (federal employee blue cross/blue shield) required that I be at least 100 pounds overweight. Hope this helps. Like you, I tried just about every diet known to man. I could lose the weight.... I just couldn't keep it off. This is the best thing I've ever done for myself! Wishing you the best..... Wanda
nybabe
on 8/30/05 1:29 am - Babylon, NY
Hi A.C. ! I would recommend you check the boards in Md - you can actually pull up your state (here on OH) and begin with recent surgery patients- and see who has had either the gastric buypass or the lap band- whichever you are doing. If that surgeon has a website- check that out too and see if you can contact some of his patients by email . If there is a few surgeons- round it ff to 2 and cntact them both and ask them if you need a referral from your PCP in order to see them for a consult. Many surgeons also have "open forums" 1-2x a month- where they want you to come and hear their presentaton on the surgery and usually book a consult after that. I also recommend you try to find out in advance if your insurance covers the type of surgery you are seeking. A good surgeon's office knows what insurance covers what procedure and usually how long it takes for approval . Of course each ins. company IS different- but many like Aetna, and I think BCBS, are requiring a 6 month physician weigh in- regardless of how many other medical plans a patient has tried. That is where I would start, and what I have done. I spoke with 3 different surgeons offices before I settled upon my Dr- and I could NOT be happier with my results.. I am post op 2 weeks and thrilled to be without any complications. Good luck to you! Donna
Kitty B.
on 9/5/05 5:30 am - Lebanon, OH
A.C. Hi! I'm new here to. I'd heard about this wonderful place before surgery but never seem to find the time to get here. Now with being off work, I have more than enough time. I am 47 at 5'6'' and I weighed 250. But I also was on diabetes medication, hypertension medication and cholesterol meds. I have been lucky I guess. I had no problem getting approved by my insurance. I did not at first contact my primary care physician, but later asked him for doctors names. I believe you should talk to more than one bariatic surgeon. The doctor I had do my surgery was the second doctor that I spoke with. You will know when you find the right doctor. I felt a connection with him that I did not feel with the first doctor. Your insurance may make you go through your primary care physician first. He should be aware of the surgery. Just a little over 2 weeks out and I have lost 20 pounds and some inches. I am at the moment off my diabetes and hypertension medication and have a blood test done in another week to see if I can quit taking the cholesterol meds. Its not been an easy time, nothing I can't handle but I do still crave foods. You do have to have willpower. I've heard that the first two months can be difficult. I just keep telling myself to hang in there and things will definitely get better. Keep in touch with others that have had the surgery. Good luck on your quest and I hope everything is successful. God Bless, Kitty
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 279 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 540 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 527 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3588 views