Sugar alcohols:BAD

Ms.Pam
on 10/4/05 9:37 am - Paintsville, KY
I've had mild reactions to sugar alcohols but today I ate some sugar free/low-carb candy at 1:00 p.m. and by 3:00 p.m. I was doubled over in severe pain and running to the bathroom. At 4:00 p.m. I took two gas-x. The bathroom trips continued until about 5:00 p.m. It's now 7:30 p.m. ET and my stomach is still tossing, turning, and growling. The gas hasn't let up and I'm just ripping one after another. My question is: I know that sugar alcohols are not good for everyone but I've never had this severe of a reaction to it, is there some remedy to ease my stomach or does it just have to run its course? WHERE ELSE CAN I GO TO DISCUSS SOMETHING SO PERSONAL!! 244/144
meandpugs
on 10/4/05 11:29 pm - valrico, FL
I too eat the candy but I have found that if I only eat 1 or2 pieces I am ok If I eat 3 it is a laxitive I'm good to GO.. anymore than that I am just like you were.. Sameway with Sf ice cream no more than 2 tbs. or I pay for it.. Good luck.. Cyndee
lrosenda
on 10/5/05 3:42 am - Magna, UT
Pam, It is okay to talk about this here. We are all experiencing the same stuff. And most of us have probably learned our lesson with sugar alcohols. I have had the most problems with low carb protein bars. I can only eat half or I'm quite sick. I am really glad you posted, we all need to keep this in mind! Lori 384/293/170
Joni Denney
on 10/8/05 2:13 pm - Mission, TX
I was told it was the sf sweetner that causes this. It could be any SF product. I sometimes eat a small bit of sf chocolat candy if I am constipated. Hope you feel better!! Joni
Northstar
on 10/8/05 10:58 pm - Struthers, OH
I have not had my sirgery yet but that sugar alcohol does the same thing to me. It is so miserable. I ate some chocolates that were "surgar free" but had manatol of something like that in them. The rumbling was terrible, my stomach ached and I lived in the bathroom for hours. I don't like those candies any more. Madeline
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 279 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 540 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 527 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3588 views