CONFUSED!?

leenda
on 2/7/06 10:46 am - WI
I was going to have the operation because I have to have hernia surgery anyhow due to laposostopic surgery(gallbladder) in 92. But, you know if I still have to work hard and diet all my life with the lap-band, in which I was choosing, why do it? I could not eat right before so why would the lap-band make me any happier or eaiser? I realize it is a tool. But, if we have a problem in our heads how would this help? I think now people might have physc problems because of it..no??? And, it gets me mad that I cant even see the Doctor first to ease my questions..have to go to nutritionist first and physc in which I have to pay..and if I dont go through with it ..I am out of that money..$$$ So..confused ..the more I look into it..the more I dont want it??? Linda :?)
ScoutMom14
on 2/10/06 9:52 am - Loreauville, LA
Hi Linda, I had a RNY surgery on Aug. 2005 and I don't regret it in the least. I'm only 6 months out but I don't crave things b/c of the separation with the pouch from the bottom of the stomach which produces hormones signaling hunger. I can be around my favorite (pre-surgery) foods and sweets and not even care about them. My husband is a little over a year out and I know several others who have had the surgery and are further out but they all seem to be managing the program fine. I have heard the further out the harder to follow but so far the eating for any reasons other than hunger isn't a problem. Have you tried going to support groups to get info w/o having to pay and start the process if you aren't sure about it anyway? Most areas have support group and often part or all of the meeting caters to new people considering the surgery. At any rate make sure you really want it either way b/c you may resent it if you have mixed feelings. I had medical problems which prompted by surgery - diabetes, hypertension & sleep apnea. Now I feel great! Anne
leenda
on 2/13/06 12:07 pm - WI
Hi Guys, Thanks a bunch for replying to my post! It really helps to get all the info that I can. I have just seen my own Doctor and he said since I have to have the hernia surgery I should go for it and, think positive about the whole thing. I really do want it, I cant lie, I think it is just the fear. I lost alot lost of family members since 99 and the fear of death weighs heavy on my mind. I have had 2 c-sections and gall blader sugery and, Actually, the gall blader sugery was not that bad when I think about it because of lapasopic surgery! but I did end up with this hernia because of it. I am going to see the nutritionist on March 1, will see. Thanks for all your info! Linda (Wisconsin)
SondraKD
on 2/12/06 9:33 am - Sulphur, LA
Linda, Do not go through with this surgery unless you are absolutly sure that this is what you want to do... I had it and do not regret it at all.. I would do it again in a heartbeat... This is something that I wanted to do very badly.. something that I knew I had to do to survive. As far as your questions. Yes the surgery is a tool and yes you still have to make the right choices when it comes to eating... wether you have the lap band or the rny your stomach will be smaller. You will not be able to eat as much as you can with a full size stomach. That is where the tool aspect comes in. I had the rny and my sister had the lap band.. we have both done wonderfully. For each of us the surgery that we chose was the right one. I know several people who have done this.. Only one has not had success.. This person has learned how to eat around their tool and they did not lose as much as they could have. I choose each day what to eat.. With this tool it helps me to make good decisions. For me the hunger is almost non existant. I eat because I need to to stay healthy. Don't get me wrong.. there are times I eat because I want to.. I even make bad choices .. but I do better next time... Good luck in whatever you choose to do... My suggestion to you is to try to lose it on your own... don't diet.. make a lifestyle change when it comes to your eating habits.. continue to come to this site.. there are lots of info here that can help with that also... Sondra
Karen G
on 2/27/06 1:58 am - Brampton, Canada
Alas, WLS (regardless of which procedure you choose) is truly NOT the easy way out !!! It is a lifetime commitment to changing your lifestyle, your diet and you ! Only you can decide what is best for your long-term weight loss success. It is possible to "out-eat" the surgeries, if you can't exercise some level of personal control. I strongly recommend that you research the various procedures. Talk to long-term post-ops and find out what they eat on a daily basis. If you can commit to that lifestyle, one of healthy eating and regular exercise, then WLS is for you. I am 14 months post-op, lap RNY, with a loss of 103 pounds. I have no regrets. I have normalized my hypertension and I am medication free. My only "medication" is daily multivitamins and calcium supplements. I hope you are able to decide what is best for you and your health. Karen G
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 279 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 540 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 527 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3588 views