What is considered normal nerves? Any pointers to relax?

Cort0807
on 7/30/10 3:32 pm - Fort Campbell, KY
I know it seems so repetitive when us newbies come along and post the "I'm scared" post.  Well, here is mine... I've hit single digits on the countdown and if knocking knees would make me lose weight I'd be 110 lbs by now.

Anyways, so from the veterans or even fresh post-ops how bad did your nerves get and what honestly helped? I am so overwhelmingly nervous that I am even considering doing milestone letters for my daughter just in case. I'm not sure if it is just my mama bear instinct being paranoid or what.
I'm taking into consideration the fact that the only surgery I've ever had was my emergency c-section that I only knew about for all of 30 minutes before it happened and didn't have a chance to know they were knocking me out when I felt it. For the first time in my life I know that I have a major surgery approaching and that I will for sure be knocked out.

I KNOW WLS is what I NEED. I'm not unsure of that fact. I am just so utterly intimidated by the thought of failure and not ready to have a bucket list with a lot of stuff unchecked. I need some sane thinking to just get these nerves conquered.

MajorMom
on 7/30/10 6:55 pm - VA
I've seen a lot of ways people handle nerves the days leading up to their surgery. Some do write those "if anything happens" letters to loved ones, some give their homes a super spring cleaning, and some of us just have a strong determination and very little nervousness.  The best thing I know is to do anything and everything you think will keep you busy and help pass the time. Write the letters if you need a good cry. Clean the house and you can come clean mine too if you need to. lol
Anyway, I've known only one or two that got anti anxiety meds, but some even had to do that to get through it. Hang tough, sweetie.
((hugs))

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

cait_8901
on 7/30/10 11:56 pm
I'm so excited for you!  I am a couple weeks behind you, so I am there too - anxiety level is super high.  I'm not sure I can write letters - but that's a great idea.  I'm trying to stay busy with cleaning and getting ready for back-to-school stuff.  I don't think I need any meds now, but you can bet I'll be asking for them that morning before surgery.  Maybe they'll give my hubby some, too...lol.  Best Wishes for you!
C.

~Cathie's Stats: RNY August 16, 2010~~~Height: 5'6" SW-254 GW-150~~~~

Jane W.
on 7/31/10 12:04 am - Southaven, MS
Hi.  I hear ya.  I am 3 months out.  I wasn't "scared" but I was quite anxious about the waiting.  I tried to stay busy....mainly by "befriending" literally a dozen friends on OH... and just talked and talked on line, asking questions, etc.  It was the only thing I could think about.  It was driving me crazy.  But the time did pass and my day finally came. 

So I would suggest what Gina did...do ANYTHING you can think of to keep busy, and know your sisters and brothers in WLS probably all felt the same way too  (if that helps any).

So if you need someone to talk to "all day long"  I am usually available....(slow at work these days).  We could IM on AOL or the like or on this site.  Good luck.
5'6"    
STLfan
on 7/31/10 12:32 am
Hi Cort, I remember the first surgery I had 10yrs ago and literally my knees were knocking! The nurse even commented and kept throwing toasty warm blankets over me till I was put under. I now have had several surgeries and really don't think doom and gloom thoughts but more like what I need to do to help make this easier for me, family and surgeon. I also have my death panel directive and living will all set and a matter of record. The fact is any surgery has risks but really mortality rates for WLS are not real high and it makes the news because I think people feel its elective surgery and why risk it. But the truth is we who are over weight are at risk anyway and I feel and so do my doctors that this was my best option to living longer. Nothing I can say is going to change how you feel but know this is a common reaction. You will be fine and we all will be pulling for you and my prayers will include you as well.
Your friend .....Jeff
Lee ~
on 7/31/10 1:08 am - CA
Hi Cort,

I didn't have nerves or anxiety because I was so excited.  What I did was to spend my time visualizing myself doing all the things that my weight was hampering me from doing.  Long hikes, swimming without embarrasment, clothes shopping with my "thin" friends, crossing my legs, fitting into a "coach" seat on the airplane with room to spare... and on and on.

Visualizing all those things made me so happy.  I also visualized going into surgery and coming out of it just fine.   This was my third surgery in 3 years (I bought the package deal), ankle surgery 7/2008,  gallbladder coming out party 11/2009 and Sleeve 2/2010.   Even at 59 I wasn't afraid of the anesthesia, knowing that the doctors are very experienced and that my surgeon would not operate if my particular risks (non that I know of) were too great.

I decided to just trust in the process and have fun while I was waiting for surgery.  I hope you get some time to just enjoy and relax!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

loverofcats
on 7/31/10 2:22 am
Thank you. Visualization is a very powerful tool and I will start practicing more of it.

Great advice.
Lee ~
on 7/31/10 3:09 am - CA
I hope it helps.  Let us know what you're visualizing about if it's something you can share.  :)

Cort0807
on 7/31/10 2:29 am - Fort Campbell, KY
The funny thing is I am absolutely ecstatic about the fact that for once I am not going to have to worry about digging through racks looking for cute clothes in size FAT A$$! I'm already planning outfits, outings, and activities I can take on. I plan to do the C25K, I want to do some runs for military organizations(I'm an Army wife), and I plan to show my daughter that exercise can be fun. I am hoping she'll never remember her mom as the morbidly obese mother who I am right now.

I just need to get these nerves to take a hike. Any other time a 99% chance of something is excellent,  it would be silly to think of planning a picnic on a day where there is a 99% chance of rain. The surgeon has told me he is confident I will be fine, I need to stop thinking something is going to go wrong to stop my chance at a great life.  I need to find confidence in the fact that not only is my surgeon trained well in bariatric surgery and the son of a pretty big shot surgeon in his native state... he is a battle tested surgeon who has done serious life-saving surgeries in a combat zone as part of a FST and is a Major in the Army.

Thanks.

Lee ~
on 7/31/10 3:11 am - CA
There ya go Cort!  Visualize yourself coming over the finish line at your 5K!  You're right about your surgeon, obviously very well trained and competent to do your surgery.

Keep us posted on how you're doing please.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 307 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views