Good Morning. Support group tonight

MajorMom
on 8/2/10 8:24 pm - VA
I'll be off to a support group tonight and will report back on Wednesday. We're supposed to be tasting protein shakes...some of the retail variety and some you can make from scratch. I'll be sure to share any recipes for the "from scratch" group because I know some folks have problems with whey protein isolate. Isn't it interesting that Dr E's dietitian is leading a group of WLS patients in trying and making protein shakes? lol 

Anyway, I think there are 2 opposing philosophies coming from WL surgeons and their NUTs. 1) Make the obese person feel full for the longest time possible so they won't eat and hope they lose 50% of their weight in the first year before malnutrition gets them and they can start eating more normally. Meaning only dense protein food, no shakes and no fat and a few carbs thrown in because that's what NUTs were taught in NUT school for normies. 2) Keep the obese person satisfied and nutritionally sound even if that means protein shakes to get close to 100 grams of protein from the very beginning. Stress vitamins and minerals and good labs. Remain fairly low carb and high protein for life to help the obese person maintain 80% EWL. 

Sorry, I know I'm biased but I know what worked and is working for me. YMMV. Low calorie and no fat work too if you can live that lifestyle long term.

Interesting article on Yahoo News this morning: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_med_dueling_diets

Today's Dietitian on high protein diets: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/020810p34.shtml

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

browneyedDeeva
on 8/2/10 10:05 pm - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
thanks for the links Gina,
they were very interesting looking foward in u letting us know how the support group turns out
have a terrific today

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

Lee ~
on 8/2/10 11:29 pm - CA
Hi Gina, 

My NUT is definitely in category 1.  It will be interesting to see what you learn tonight.  My support group is tomorrow night but we don't learn much, just talk about what they want us to talk about. 

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

lerkhart
on 8/2/10 11:45 pm
Hi Gina,
Mine is category 1 also.  I'm going to talk with her again Thursday at my appointment and see if I can get her to see the other side!! 

Looking back I'm not sure I could have made it in the afternoons without my Protein Shakes and I think the 90 calories they add are alot better than some of the other choices I would have made.

You know I am a convert!!

Hope you have a great time tonight.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
italianspice
on 8/3/10 12:00 am - Eastlake, OH
It is always the same battle.
I think the 2 schools of thought will never meet in the middle.
With everything being pushed about low fat, alot of people on statins, still heart disease is the number one killer.
I think we need our protein and our fats (if tolerated of course) to keep our bodies running smoothly.
Sounds like you got involved with a great practice.
My NUT is once you get on the solids, its the 3 meals and 2 snacks, no shakes. We will see about that though.  I know better now.

Maria
Jody ***
on 8/3/10 12:31 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Have fun and keep her on the straight and narrow!!!

My Dr and NUT were the 2nd scenario.  Shakes from the beginning - now, I haven't seen nor spoken to the NUT since about 2 months out, so quite frankly I don't remember what they said for long term (if they even did).  I just do what I've learned here....and it works for me!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

sqerlygirl
on 8/3/10 1:01 am
I am all about Philosophy #2 but if I had more than 100# to lose, I would probably do #1 for 2 years and then adapt into #2.

I only want to lose a max of 70-80 more lbs so hopefully I can get there with what I am doing now...I cut out simple sugars but I need complex carbs for energy. I am focusing on nutrition ratios of 40/30/30 and it is working great for me so far! Hungry at times but losing 1 lb a week with little exercise due to back issues.

We all have to experiment and find what works for us as an individual...I take bits and pieces of advice from others but I incorporate it into what has proven to work for me. Getting in touch with my body and paying attention to what it wants is the best thing I have ever done for myself!!

Char
RNY 11/28/10 5' 6"
HW 263/SW 217/CW 130/GOAL 134
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views