Last supervised WL meeting on Tuesday - nervous about insurance!!!

Lynn5707
on 3/26/11 4:26 am - IN
Hi,

I am so excited/nervous.  I will have my 3rd supervised WL meeting on Tues.  My BMI has been 39.5 and 40 (I had seen doctor last  year in March, but thought I could do it on my own, so of course, couldn't - so when I went back my first app't was my first supervised WL (bmi 40.3, then my second was my app't with surgeon - which was my second app't with him as I saw him last year-BMI 39.5) - I really don't have co-mobids, except joint pain, occ. stress incontinence.   Anyway - I was told not to gain and not to lose weight.  I called the coordinator and asked about that and she said not to get too stressed out, all insurance companies are a little different.

When I had called my insurance Fed. BCBS to find out what weight they used, of course, they read the book, but couldn't give me an answer.  Anyway - I  am just so nervous/excited.  I hope the approval for surgery goes through.  I don't know why it wouldn't, as my orginal BMI was over 40, and last year I think it was closer to 41.

Any words of wisdom, advice, etc.  Anyone know how long it will take for me to find out if I am approved or not?  I am wanting the sleeve, which it sounds like is covered now, last year it was not at the time I originally went to surgeon.

Thanks for all the support on this site.  I love it.  I changed my profile from basketsbears as I had found I misspelled baskets (basktsbears - lol) when I couldn't figure out why I couldn't logon anymore!  lol
MajorMom
on 3/26/11 4:45 am - VA
I think it's good advice to hang on to your weight right where it is and I hope they file with the 40.3 BMI. Normally, BCBS Fed is pretty easy to get along with and approves pretty fast. Swinging lizards that will be the case for you. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 3/27/11 5:48 am
Good luck and be sure to keep us updated on your progress.  I would think stress incontinence would be a co-morbidity that would help qualify you, but I guess it depends on your insurance company.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Susan M.
on 3/27/11 6:47 am
I have BC/BS FED and they've been great.  Once I did the 3 mo supervised diet, I got approval in a couple of weeks but my srarting BMI was 43.1 with co-morbs.  I got a call last week from BC/BS and was scared to death...thought they were going to cancel or something.  Turns out, it was my "case manager" and she was available for support.  She sent me some information and was very positive about WLS and in particular, my choice of VSG.  I was very happy to be so wrong.  Good luck!!

HW: 272  SW: 245.5  CW: 234.5  GW: 150    
Lynn5707
on 3/27/11 7:48 am - IN
So they used  your starting weight?  If that is the case, I should be OK as my first weight was just over 40 BMI.  I am hoping to get the sleeve too!

I will keep you posted!

Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views