Cycling/spinning enthusiasts

vixen01
on 4/11/11 11:55 pm
GM! I love spinning! Is there anyone else who enjoys this too. I am preparing for outdoor season now and just wanted to know some of your routines with regards to distance and speed. Also, are there any recommendations for bikes and/or shoes. I am currently looking at a Keiser M3 indoor and not sure about the outdoor one yet. My fitness center has a lot of choices but Spring is finally here so I am hitting the pavement
  SW: 245  GW: 150  CW: 142 

th_LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg        
chris_ruff
on 4/12/11 12:18 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
hi there,

im a spin lover too. i went to classes for months and recently bought a spin bike to use at home (although i have to admit i dont use it as often as i'd like). i also got a road bike to do some outdoor cycling. i havent done that since grammar school! im not very educated about the distance/speed/[roducts, i just do it for fun. noce to meet another spin lover!
--Christina
blueskyday
on 4/12/11 12:57 am - Dallas, TX
VSG on 12/28/10 with
If you want to talk road bikes I can help ....  I've ridden regularly for about  13 years and raced for about 5 of those years.    If you think you are really gonna get into it, I would look at the entry level Specialized Dolce.  Everybody has their favorite pedal system, but mine is Speedplay, I really like the double sided aspect and how easy they are to get into.  Shoes vary with fit per person, my foot is fairly wide through the toe box, I like Sidi Genius and Specialized.

Riding more miles, riding with people faster than you and hill repeats are some of the best ways to improve.
Amy  (HW: 232  SW:223 / CW:183 / GW:140    Ht:5'4)

MacMadame
on 4/12/11 5:56 am - Northern, CA
I started with a Specialized Dolce Elite. It's a great bike.

I hate Speedplay pedals though. :-D I tried them on a demo bike and I just could NOT get into them.

I got SPDs because they also work in the gym for spin class. They are SO easy to get out of. I had Look for a while and they were more comfortable on long rides but a ***** to get out of.

I started out with flat rides of about 6 miles and then built up to about 13. Then I started doing hills. Right now I bike 3 times a week. I do a spin class in the gym, a tempo ride of about 1.5 hours on Thurs. evening - one week it's a long, fast ride and the next week it's a hilly ride. Then, on the weekends I do a long ride - at least 20 miles but as much as 100 miles. Obviously, I built up to that one.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

blueskyday
on 4/13/11 3:17 am - Dallas, TX
VSG on 12/28/10 with
I totally agree on the ease of use of SPDs especially for spin class compatiblity.
I have SPD on my mountain bike and shoes for mtn bike that I use for spin class.

I used Look and the Shimano SPD-R etc and I don't like the single sideness.

I like Speedplay best for long rides (comfort) and rides with lots of stoplights (getting clipped in and out alot).  I have the Speedplay Zeros and you can control the amount of float so I can control how much my feet moving around (toward and anyway from the chain stay)

I
Amy  (HW: 232  SW:223 / CW:183 / GW:140    Ht:5'4)

valleyfree
on 4/12/11 5:41 am - OR
I really enjoy spin class too! Nothing works up a better sweat!
HW 247/SW 232/CW 135/GW 140 Height 5'4"  Age 43 A BIT BELOW GOAL

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views