Worries

Just-Jenn
on 4/28/11 10:14 pm - Midstate Region, PA
Worries:  
  • Did my revision really change things---I know my ‘stomach’ is smaller….but I feel like I still absorb a lot
  • I got paperwork from the hospital---they said my A1C was high (yes I knew that- its called denial) However, they never asked me to run that test. I felt it to be a complete invasion of my privacy. They stated they test everyone who stays at their hospital in the letter.
  • Is diabetes (not having it controlled affecting my ability to drop weight? First time my diabetes was resolved until I had my two girls and my stomach reattached. This time it seems to be a continued issue---which goes to my first point.
  • I am scared and frustrated that I will not be able to get myself to a healthy weight and that I am damned to take medication for diabetes ( I DO NOT WANT TO BE DIABETIC!). I have lost 20 pounds in about 7 weeks. 
  • I am doing protein first, trying to make them healthy protein choices, drinking. I admit I am not good with my exercise but I run around and play with my girls in the evening. Not that it makes it right but I barely exercised the first time. I am more active now. I take my vits…get rest and try to stay off the scale..but I do check it once or twice a week. 
  • I know the weight I have lost is noticeable because I have had several comments—and I know I have lost inches.

Proud Mom to Allen (20), Christa (14), Sophie (2), Stella (1).  and an angel 5/07

Price S.
on 4/28/11 10:30 pm - Mills River, NC
I think with your revision, most of us don't know exactly what will happen.  Maybe the Drs don't either.  I do believe if you work your plan, get in your protein and vits and fluids, you will continue to lose weight.  I don't know about the diabetes.  I think the major reason it is "cured" with RNY is because of the bypass.  If you don't have that, it may be harder to cure, although some with a sleeve "cure" it.  20 lbs in 7 weeks is almost 3lbs a week and that is great.  AC1 is suppose to show a 3 month window, I think.  So part of that window is before surgery.  Maybe that is part of it.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Just-Jenn
on 4/29/11 12:09 am - Midstate Region, PA
My A1C was done on the day of my surgery (yes it only took them 7 weeks to notify me that it was high).  So all of it was before.  I did a random BS and it was high a few weeks ago---i believe I will end up on meds (and I am not happy about that at all!).
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 11:19 pm
I know this is a little off topic and my situation is not same as yours, BUT I had labs and my A1C came back a little high.  My glucose was 80 and my glucose has always been good.  I wonder if this test is not always right.  

Good luck on your journey and forgive me for hijacking your post.

ruby
rny  3/2005
262/125/135
hi/lo/today  
southernlady5464
on 5/2/11 1:28 am
What was high in your case? And a blood glucose of 80 is perfectly normal. 70-99 is the normal range.

Liz (still a diabetic but going into remission)

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Lucycat
on 4/29/11 12:32 am - Lewiston, ID
I would go in and have another A1C test done 4 months after your revision.  What was your A1C?  My blood sugars ran high right after surgery and contined to drop as I lost weight.  I was on liquid metformin for about 2 months, but I'm not on any meds for diabetes now and my bs is pretty good.  Take your bs in the morning, the fasting number is the most important.  We all have our bs run up and down throughout the day.  WLS only puts the diabetes in remission and we always have to remember its still there, just controlled.  I don't know what revision you had, but DS, RNY and VSG all help with diabetes.

Sue

Just-Jenn
on 4/29/11 12:57 am - Midstate Region, PA
Sorry- poor selection of words in my orginal post---I didnt mean resolved ( I know it was just in remission)...I had a revision to RNY.  I think mine 8.4 or 8.2 from the hospital. Ugh.  I will have it monitored in a few more months- I may need to go on meds but I guess I will do what I have to do.  Yes- I have been avoid the fasting---I guess it just my nerves of not wanting to really know or accept this path (again).  Thanks!

Proud Mom to Allen (20), Christa (14), Sophie (2), Stella (1).  and an angel 5/07

Lucycat
on 4/29/11 1:14 am - Lewiston, ID
I'm thinking it's too early to tell if it has put your diabetes in remission.   I understand how concerned and worried you must be.  I was devastated when my bs didn't go to normal right away.  Now I seem to have more issues with low bs.  I have a feeling you're going to be alright, and your bs' will settle down.

Sue

southernlady5464
on 5/2/11 1:40 am
Jenn, unfortunately the RNY only has an 85-92% resolution rate for diabetes. You may be among the unfortunate 8-15% that still have it afterward.

Anything above 6 is considered too high by the American Diabetes Association. http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/features/new-number

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/southernlady5464/A1C_chart.jpg?t=1304350651

Mine 6 months ago was an 8.2, last week it came in at a 6.2, still diabetic but headed in the right direction. My PCP was pleased. I am only taking metformin at this point and only 500 mgs a day.

At 8.2 I was on insulin and 2000 mgs of metformin as well.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/11 1:23 am
 JENN (((()))))  

Its super important I  think to control  Ur diabetes  now .   If metformin helps ...  great !   It will also help U lose the weight U want to lose  

I would consider it a blessing that Uve been given this wake up call.   My husband  was a diabetic when he had his  ( very  distal almost DS like )  RNY   10 years ago .   It resolved when he lost  over 100  lbs.   

Then he  lost his wife and picked up sugar  ... and more sugar .   Basically lived on candy  bars because  noone told him  the diabetes could come roaring back  ...  and he LIKED  them.  

Anyway  he  is  now  sticking himself with insulin twice a day and other things because he is now insulin resistant  and allergic to insulin to boot  .   U DONT WANT THIS  !!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 307 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views