OT: Corn Flakes & Milk

Just-Jenn
on 5/4/11 2:55 am - Midstate Region, PA
Well-now I know I don't dump on Corn Flakes...I had a very long stay in the hospital from 6;30pm Monday evening until 7am Tuesday morning.  I have a teenage dtr who needed to be admitted for mental health reasons and since they don't allow you to have certain items - I was granted corn flakes and milk at 2am.  They tried a turkey sandwich--but they were all out.  Yes- I was up all night with nothing else to eat or drink and I did not have dinner because of her Mental Health break down..so I ate corn flakes and drank a few sips of milk in those 12+ hours.  Did I mention they expect you to sleep in a chair with all the lights on and being watched...so I was up---thank god she got some rest.   My body is in shock from the lack of food / hydration / sleep...I feel like a little sponge today. Aren't kids an adventure?!  Cross your fingers and toes that I never have to relive that experience...not that visiting a locked down unit is much more fun---but at least I am not in there too. 

-Yes- I absolutely could have found a cafeteria or vending---but those doors lock and seal so they aren't real quite and she freaked when I left to use the potty. I suffered in silence so that is my vent on multiple levels (the experience / personal side of it and the food).  Thanks!

Proud Mom to Allen (20), Christa (14), Sophie (2), Stella (1).  and an angel 5/07

Mara C.
on 5/4/11 3:10 am - Millbury, MA
You sound like a great Mom... I am sure your daughter appreciates you being there through this tough time she was having.  I hope you are able to get some rest, and rehydrate today.  Best wishes to you and your family.
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 3:30 am
Hope your daughter gets the help she needs. I cannot believe they weren't more prepared for foodstuffs though.
That's tough not having things you need and no water. That seems harsh when you were with her the whole time, that they could not help you out.
HUGS
Koko10
on 5/4/11 3:39 am - NC
Sorry to hear about your daughters struggles. You are a great Mom to be there for her like that. Get some rest and some food to keep your strength up for yourself and your daughter.
lerkhart
on 5/4/11 3:51 am
Jenn,
Hope you are able to get some rest and rehydrate today!!  Take care of yourself.  I also hope your daughter is doing better today and will continue to improve each day.
Thinking of you.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
fatoldbat
on 5/4/11 4:05 am
hope your daughter gets better!  what a blessing for her to have a mom like you!!!
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 5/4/11 5:08 am - Mills River, NC
  Hopeing you are getting your rest and nutritian and she is getting the help she needs. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Stacey N.
on 5/4/11 5:44 am - Chesapeake, VA
Hope all goes well for you and her, I guess I am the one nuts when I want to know what happened.... Guess that is the counselor in me... I do hope it all goes well. Maybe (if) something happens again, keeping something in your purse for emergencies, I know most locked down units do not allows purses, but you can grab what ever is in there and throw it in your pocket. I have been known to do this. Good Luck! sending loads of hugs your way.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 7:27 am
 U know what  ?  I would SOOO  be eating  corn flakes and(  Skim ) milk if  i could get it..if it was important ...

I think Its WONDERFUL  that U can be strong enough to be present for Ur baby ( Im SURE she absolutely APPRECIATES  Loving  Caring Mommy )   God Bless You  and keep  You BOTH  safe    big hugs  
Jody ***
on 5/4/11 7:54 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
You did the best you could considering the situations...

I totally understand what you mean though. When I had my Tummy Tuck I was on the WLS floor and all they had was frozen dinners that were freezer burned.  Everything else they had was for newly post-op WLS patients, and it wasn't much.  Best thing I got was the popsicles...

Its a learning experience.  You  may need to speak up if you're in that situation again - let them know you have at least fluid requirements... While more than likely most of them won't be versed in WLS... just speaking up may let them realize not everyone can sit for that period of time without any fluids or the RIGHT foods...

You're a great mom... and its a very difficult thing that you did.. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views