Two left feet and Zumba your backside

Cheryl W.
on 5/15/11 4:13 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
Well, I took my first Zumba class today.  I stood way, way in the back, but darn it, you could still see me in some of the mirrors.  It wasn't pretty.  

So I ignored me, and just focused on the class leaders.  Yes plural, because the instructor would circulate through the class and pull class members up on the stage to help lead the next songs.  Boy, some of those folks looked good and they also could do the moves.  Makes me encouraged to keep at it.  So I'm going back again.

This was way more fun than the old aerobics classes from the 80's and 90's that I had once attempted.  For one thing, the music isn't hip-hop (which I personally don't like) or American dance music (which today is mostly hip-hop).   The Latin beats were really fast, and I speak zero Spanish or Portuguese, so I have no idea what the lyrics were saying.  I imagine most of it was "shake your a$$".  There was no "instruction" given on doing the steps, you jus****ched and followed along.  There was a lot of shaking of my floppy bits, but it was fun, and you could really imagine that it was a dance class rather than exercise.

The room was packed, and although I was sweating, I wasn't panting for breath.  Of course I didn't exert myself like when running because I didn't know what I was doing and was trying to follow along.  I bet after I learn some moves, I could get a good workout from Zumba.

Like I said, it didn't feel like exercise, so that's a good thing.  I'm going to keep at it and give it a chance.

HW:  258  SW:  237 CW:  152      
MajorMom
on 5/15/11 4:19 am - VA
Good for you! Glad you had a great time.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

kimberly_gr
on 5/15/11 4:49 am
I liked Zumba from the standpoint that you worked your butt off, and good for you for going. It'll whip you into shape.

However, I found I'm totally awkward at it.  I seem to be able to only rock it in one direction, and totally lose my coordination going in the other.  I just couldn't get that latin beat going in my hips.

I don't know if I've lost my mojo with age or if I need to try another type of class to assure myself that I still have some sort of rhythm.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Stacey N.
on 5/15/11 5:17 am - Chesapeake, VA
HEHE! Shaking of your floppy bits.... HAHAHAHA I am LMBO on that expression..... LOVE IT and gonna use it!

I really need to try it, if I can find a class somewhere. Now that I am tube free I feel AMAZING!

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

Ruthie D.
on 5/15/11 6:30 am - Mayer, AZ
YAY!!!  Good for you Cheryl!!!  :-))

Okay Okay Okay... I love my Wii Fit so now, based on your testimony, I'll get my Wii Zumba program out of the box and plug the sucker in (in the privacy of my own home, which might or might not be conducive to regular use... we'll see).  I surely have a floppy bit or two to lose.  LOL
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
Price S.
on 5/15/11 6:44 am - Mills River, NC
I've had to lay out of Zumba for the last few weeks with my knee but will be happy to get back in.  I do a modified anyway to try to keep the stress off my knees.  And your right, one of my sides works better than the other.  But it is fun and the hour goes by very quickly. 

Ruthie, let me know how the Wii version is.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cheryl W.
on 5/15/11 8:18 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
Price, reading about you going to Zumba, encouraged me to try it, so thanks, I think this is going to be fun.
Ruthie D.
on 5/15/11 2:20 pm - Mayer, AZ
I'll do that Price!  It costs too much without some sort of review from a friend!!  LOL   Remind me in a couple of days, would ya?  :-)
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
Jody ***
on 5/15/11 7:21 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I know what you mean.  Honestly - if I didn't take a "beginners" class through the college I'd have gotten discouraged.  That one was an instructional class that showed the steps, etc. I've stayed with the same instructor and followed her from place to place because I'm familiar with the way she does things.

I've tried a different instructor and had the same thing happen.  She didn't give instruction and I was totally lost.. I didn't go back.

Good for you - glad you're going back.  It can be fun and a good workout - it just takes time to learn the steps.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Cheryl W.
on 5/15/11 8:21 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
I'm going to look for a basic DVD to learn some basic steps.  Maybe then I won't feel so awkward.  I used to do jazzercise once upon a time, and it felt good when I mastered the program, because I could really put some muscle into it when I knew which way to turn...
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 312 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 436 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 499 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 520 views