I'm home!

Carrie S.
on 6/24/11 3:39 am - Asheville, NC
Just got home from the hospital.  My surgery was at 1:00 Wednesday morning.

It was a little more rough than I thought it would be, but I'm hanging in there.  Thanks to everyone for calming my nerves and sending positive vibes my way.  

I have my tool and as soon as we're a little better aquainted, I'm gonna start working it!!  (still a little afraid of it!)

I'm sipping water and have had some watery pudding which sat great.  So that's encouraging.  Not looking forward to the protein drinks though.  But I don't have to worry about that till tomorow.  

Thanks again.  
Carrie

RNY June 22, 2011        Asheville, NC
    c
www.carriestewartemrick.wordpress.com 
Highest Weight 250      Starting Weight  226      Goal Weight  ???
Height 5'  6.5"
Jody ***
on 6/24/11 4:55 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Glad to see you're back and doing well! 

Some people immediately after surgery tolerate warm drinks better than cold.  2 days after surgery I ate egg drop soup, minus some of the eggs.  Tasted awesome!  BUT - be prepared for the output - its a HUGE awakening!  LOL.

Protein drinks aren't bad.  You just need to find something you like - and there are a TON of them out there.  Immediately after I used GNC's chocolate isolate protein and mixed with skim milk.  Drank slowly... After a few weeks I would allow myself a Starbucks skinny vanilla latte and mix some vanilla protein with it (can't be too hot though).  You'll find ways to make it work for you!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Carrie S.
on 6/24/11 6:20 am - Asheville, NC
 Thank you!!!  DId I read somewhere that Starbucks has the protein and will add it?  
RaggetyAnn
on 6/24/11 11:08 am
VSG on 02/15/11 with
Congrats and welcome to the loser's bench Carrie.
Yes, Starbucks has protein, 12 grams per scoop.  You can have them add it to hot or cold beverages, I am told, although I've only had it in hot lattes.
I get their medium sized decaf skinny sf caramel latte with 3 scoops of protein powder, or their largest size with 4 scoops of protein powder.  I can't even taste the protein, but you have to be sure they don't curdle the protein.  Ask them to stir it into the milk and only heat it to 140 or so.
tracey

RaggetyAnn  (I'm just a RaggetyAnn in a Barbie Doll world.)
hw: 216 sw: 200 cw: 156 dgw: 134 mgw: 124

Carrie S.
on 6/25/11 3:36 am - Asheville, NC
On June 24, 2011 at 6:08 PM Pacific Time, RaggetyAnn wrote:
Congrats and welcome to the loser's bench Carrie.
Yes, Starbucks has protein, 12 grams per scoop.  You can have them add it to hot or cold beverages, I am told, although I've only had it in hot lattes.
I get their medium sized decaf skinny sf caramel latte with 3 scoops of protein powder, or their largest size with 4 scoops of protein powder.  I can't even taste the protein, but you have to be sure they don't curdle the protein.  Ask them to stir it into the milk and only heat it to 140 or so.
tracey
 Awesome!  Will do.
I just think getting something "out" might make me feel a little more normal evenually.  
Thanks for the tip.
Carrie

Price S.
on 6/24/11 5:40 am - Mills River, NC
Hurray, Hurray.  Another one joins the bench, loser's bench, that is.  Welcome.

I certainly did warm stuff easier than cold in the beginning.  And nothing tasted good but that doesn't take forever.  Vanilla protein in decaf coffee and unflavored in herb tea were great.  Unjury makes a chicken broth that is good too.  You can add unflavored, or vanilla to pudding if that is on you plan for now.  I wasn't hungry at all or even interested in food so that was fine. 

Rest, sip, walk, repeat.  You will be feeling better soon.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Carrie S.
on 6/24/11 6:22 am - Asheville, NC
 Thanks Price!  I'm doing my best!!  I've got a sample size of the unjury to try.  Maybe that'll be my goal tomorrow.  I'm afraid you're right....that nothing is going to taste good to me.    But it's not forever!!!  I'm keeping my eye on the prize.  
Kermit P.
on 6/24/11 8:21 am
Glad you made it through and are home.  I also felt rough although the nurses kept saying I was doing great.  I had never been in the hospital before so it was all new.  The first week or two is the hardest.  IT WILL get easier......suggestions for shakes....make them SMALL.....or mix the protein mix in some water and then stir in some cofffee....that saved me and still does.  Also ready to drink shakes taste much better to me.....get a 4 pack of EAS low carb at walmart for about $5.....then no biggie if you don't like it.  Sugar free popsickles were my best friend and I still love them.  Also ramen broth was really good....i so wanted something savory after the first week....could only drink about two ounces but I loved it. 

Hang in there!!!!!!  Sip and don't worry about the rest....it will come.  AND, if you have a few thoughts of "what did I just do", this is normal.  I had a few nights like that of true regret and some fear....after the first few weeks, I never had one of those thoughts again.......

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Carrie S.
on 6/24/11 9:52 am - Asheville, NC
 OMGosh Jennifer!  The nurses kept saying I was doing great too and I just didn't see or feel it!!

Thanks for the tips.
The Raman broth sounds great.  I'll try that.
And the EAS shakes are already my favorite!!  

I think I thought it wouldn't hurt this much or take this long to heal.  I was trying to go back to work after a week....I think I might need longer!

The "buyers remorse" has been creeping in!  But  I keep telling myself it'll get better.  I'm already thrilled to not feel hungry!  I'm ready to no longer be a slave to food.  Ya know?

Thanks for the advise....keep it coming!  I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!
Carrie
(deactivated member)
on 6/24/11 8:41 am
Hi Carrie,
glad you're home and doing well or so it sounds! Each day will get better and better, hang on for the ride of your life!
Brenda
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views