confused and discouraged

Patti Johnson
on 7/13/11 12:08 am - Mooers, NY
I will be 6 weeks out tomorrow and have only lost 23 lbs so far. granted 4 weeks after my RNY I had to have my Gallbladder out, and am still sore from that... I feel like I can eat more than I should be able to. I never feel full when I am done eating, even though I never want to eat. I don't even know how much i should be eating. All my NUT said was 2 ozs. of pureed chicken, turkey or 2 ozs of flaked white fish.  I had both of my surgeries in Saranac Lake NY. I just feel like bawling!!!!
  Patti Surgery date June 2,2011
BW -242 SW-219 CW-204 Goal - 120            
Mara C.
on 7/13/11 12:23 am - Millbury, MA
You need to measure everything right now and stop at your limit.  It will get better!  Take it easy on yourself.  And, don't worry about the scale right now...it will be moving!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Patti Johnson
on 7/13/11 12:37 am - Mooers, NY
Hi Mara, Thanks for responding, I weigh my protein and am staying at my 2 ozs. i just feel like i am not full. I don't know if I should be eating vegetables with my pureed protein or not and how much if I should be. I can't get a straight answer out of my NUT about anything. all she concentrates on is getting in 64 ozs of fluids. THAT I am having a really really hard time with!
Mara C.
on 7/13/11 12:53 am - Millbury, MA
Every doc is different, but in the first few weeks, they are mostly concerned with you becoming dehydrated I think.... which can put you back in the hospital.  So, try other sources of liquids, like powerade 0, Gadorade 2 (no sugar), crystal light. Try to increase your liquids each day until you get to the goal.  Don't worry too much about veggies right now either, those will come.  The nerve ending (I think that's what they are called) are still healing so you may not feel full for a while, that's why it is so important you measure.  Later that will come.  Just concentrate mainly on liquids, protein and taking all your vitamins and you should be fine.  :)
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Patti Johnson
on 7/13/11 1:33 am - Mooers, NY
Thanks Mara, I just want this to work, I don't want to be in the failed catagory.
Stacey N.
on 7/13/11 1:44 am - Chesapeake, VA
Agree with Mara. Try different fluids, try the temperatures. I know me personally, in the morning it has to be a hot liquid. After 11 i can do something cold. Take it easy on yourself, you are still healing.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

newdirectionhome
on 7/13/11 2:38 am
 I had a really hard start after my surgery. The nurse said just make sure you get in fluids. It really is the most important. I couldn't really eat for 8 weeks after surgery. Then things settled in. No matter how positive you are, you had major surgery and it is an assault on your body.

Don't give up. Eventually you will feel good again and be so grateful you did this.

In feeling like bawling, there are many hormones released from fat and some of us get depression and all sorts of reactions. Pe patient with yourself. 
 Wendy
5'3" SW: 210
MacMadame
on 7/13/11 4:14 am - Northern, CA
I only lost 12 pounds the first month after surgery and 12 the next. So you've lost as much in 6 weeks as I lost in 8.

You can't go by the number of pounds anyway. It's all about % of excess weight. We don't have 200 pounds to lose so most of us aren't going to drop 30 pounds the first month like a heavyweight often does. But some of those people aren't going to get to goal as fast as we are because our 20 pounds is 20% of our excess weight but their 30 pounds might only be 10-15% of theirs.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Patti Johnson
on 7/13/11 4:25 am - Mooers, NY
Thanks everyone for the support. I think I just got it in my head that I shouldn't be able to eat 3 or 4 ozs yet but I can. and i hear so many stories about stretched pouches and stomas that i worry about doing something wrong. Thanks for kicking my butt back into reality!
Price S.
on 7/13/11 6:14 am - Mills River, NC
What you CAN eat isn't necessarily what you SHOULD eat ( I am talking to myself also here).  It is very important to measure in the beginning because you won't feel full until too late.  2 oz is 1/4c.  In the beginning, that is all you need to be doing.  As you get further out, you will add more foods and increase to 1/4c of protein and 1/4c of veggies.  If you follow your plan, you will lose.  Put the scale away if you need to.  Get your protein and fluids in and you will lose.  Eat your protein first.  You will be fine.  Promise.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 315 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 438 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 501 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 522 views