It has been a year!

bowknot
on 9/19/11 10:11 pm
Wow!  On this day last year I was heading to the hospital for my WLS.  It has gone by so quickly.  My journey has been unremarkable without any complications or serious emotional drama.  I am very very lucky!  I owe so much to my surgeon, Dr Sonny Cavazos.  No regrets here.

I'm down 85 pounds from where I started.  I still need to lose 20 pounds to be at goal.  I'm very happy with my progress and I'm not giving up on those last 20 pounds.  It is a journey after all.

I was super compliant in the first 6 months, but have to admit that I've not been as compliant these last few. I'm still struggling with a snacking habit.  I own my last 20 pounds.  It is not a surgical failure.  It is me. 

This board has been a blessing in my life.  None of my friends/family understand the journey, but every single one has been extremely supportive.  I am exceptionally lucky.   I read the boards nearly every day and even post now and then.  I still feel like a newbie at this, but want everyone to know I appreciate this special group. 

My DH says I have changed.  He says I project more personal self confidence.  He likes that I'm more comfortable with my appearance and accepting of my imperfections.  I don't feel like I've changed that much, but he isn't the only one who has commented. 

I started this journey with a focus on my health.  My blood pressure, blood sugars and cholesterol are all improved.  The health improvements mean so much to me.  I felt like my weight was cutting my life short.  I didn't want my DH or my grandkids to be without me because my weight was killing me.  The truth is I'm really enjoying the physical changes too, not just the health improvements.  I love how I move.  I can dance, (well sorta) jog, and just the other day I realized I could jump again.  Not all the physical changes are good.  My boobs have seriously deflated and my belly is like a big roll of stretch marks.  I think I have plastic surgery in my future, but I need to figure out how committed I am to getting off those last 20 pounds. 

I will take my picture this afternoon and post it later, but here are a couple I'd like to share.  DH and I go to Jamaica for our wedding anniversary which is the first week in September.  Here are some pictures from this year and last:

(NOTE: I was seriously tempted to crop out my thigh, but that would defeat the purpose...right?)

(Water got on the lens and blurred it a little, but it still works.)

Thanks for all your support this past year! 

Kay

MajorMom
on 9/19/11 10:49 pm - VA
You look awesome!  Happy surgiversary, Kay!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

loverofcats
on 9/20/11 1:24 am
How totally awesome!!! WLS is such a gift and I am grateful everyday for my new life. I know what you mean about being able to move. I rejoice in the ability to exercise. What a Change.

Good luck on the last 20 lbs. You can do it, if you decide you want to.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

lerkhart
on 9/20/11 2:27 am
Way to go Kay!!!  I have really enjoyed watching your last year and your success.
Great job.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Mama477
on 9/20/11 4:05 am
Congrats, Kay!!! Way to rock it!!!!

It's so true that friends & family will never understand like this group of amazing people!!! Sniff sniff!!!!

Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

aspan
on 9/20/11 7:15 am
congratulations! You look wonderful and im sure you are feeling it as well..keep it up!
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
ruxanby
on 9/20/11 7:29 am
You have done awesome!!
Sheri F.   
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Price S.
on 9/20/11 7:29 am - Mills River, NC
Oh my gosh, look at you in that bikini girl.    You look great.  it is amazing that it has been a year for so many of us.  We were a pretty good class in fall of 2010.  Those last #s will come off too, I bet.  You know what to do. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views