Caffeine???

Lynn5707
on 10/16/11 1:19 pm - IN
Hi

I saw my NUT last week, and she said it was OK if I wanted to have a couple of cups of regular coffee in the a.m. at this point. Have you all noticed a difference?

I am on vacation and have had 1/2 & 1/2 coffee which seems. OK. I do notice that - probably since I'm on vacation - I am not sticking as much to protein first these past couple of days. I thought tonight that maybe since I'm adding caffeine, in my "mindset" I am starting to add a few things here and there.

Anyone else ever do this? Am I just thinking too hard?

Thanks!

Lynn

MacMadame
on 10/16/11 2:44 pm - Northern, CA
My program doesn't limit coffee once your tummy heals and doesn't limit caffeine once you are getting in all your fluids.

But I don't like coffee so I can't offer personal experience, just know that many people drink it with no issues.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Price S.
on 10/16/11 8:32 pm - Mills River, NC
I drink real coffee on rare occasions.  When I am staying with someone and that is all they have or when I am traveling and need to stay awake driving.  Caffine never use to bother me but it will keep me alert now, for hours.  Last time I did about 1/4c real to the rest decaf and that worked pretty good.  I know I don't want to get additicted to caffine again and get caffine headaches when I don't have it.

I think all of us eat a little different when we are out of our routine.  Like my apple, potato chips and M&Ms for lunch yesterday.  Geeze.  But I find it is much easier to get back on track than it used to be.  So today, I will pack my lunch and be better about eating it instead  of the junk I ate yesterday.

We need to know what is affecting us how as we add stuff in on a regular basis.  Did that bread make us want to eat it 3x a day the next day?  Are we craving carbs now when we didn't before?  Just do your adding in a mindful way and you should be ok.  Not all of us are addicted to carbs but many of us are and they are hard to stop once we let them back into our lives.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

southernlady5464
on 10/16/11 9:00 pm
I had switched to decaf about 6 months before surgery....and stayed off caffeine until about 4 months after surgery. I'm NOT a big coffee/caffeine drinker so adding reg coffee back hasn't really affected me.

Decaf coffee was okay but I prefer regular!!!

With that said, I don't drink caffeine ice tea...I use decaf to make my iced tea. I also do not drink any soft drinks on a reg basis...maybe one/two a week?

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Lynn5707
on 10/16/11 10:37 pm, edited 10/16/11 10:38 pm - IN
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think it is my 1/2 and 1/2 coffee, but like you said Price, being off my routine totally. We are in Florida & my first day on the beach, I must have not drank enough water (got totally absorbed in the book I was reading) and almost passed out when I walked back to the room! They had to pour ice water on me, etc. I'm OK now and being more mindful of my fluid intake. It's funny, normally I get in anywhere from 64-100 oz per day and that particular day, looking back I had had about 1/2 of that.
I also do not have my "go to" protein drink here, which is the RTD Isopure. I have some powders, and CIB, which I am using, but my protein intake is not as great as those would be anywhere from 13 - 28 grams of protein vs. the 40 I get from Ispoure.

I think overall, I'm doing OK, I have learned that the "junk" type foods that I have taken a few bites of here and there, don't taste as good as I remember them pre-surgery.

Thanks again for all the support.

Lynn

seaview
on 10/17/11 12:00 am
 HONNESTLY WHAT WOULD LIFE BE LIKE WITHOUT COFFEE!!! 
 I LOVE IT....DRINK IT....CAFF....DECAFF....TEA...
 BUT THAT"S ME!
 SEAVIEW

Marti2
on 10/17/11 12:40 am
My surgeon's plan doesn't allow for caffeine, which I thought would be difficult, but I've adjusted.  I had one cup to get rid of a headache a couple of weeks ago and I was WIRED!!!

I think once I know I'm well healed I may have it occasionally.  The main reason I plan to  keep it at a minimum is because I have found that I am sleeping so much better now.  Sleep has been a real issue for me the past 5 years, I'd resorted to Ambien or OTC sleep aids often.  This seems to be working much  better.

Lapband to RNY 9/2/2011 5'4"  205/184/125

AnneGG
on 10/17/11 2:33 am
Don't you DARE come between me and my AM mug of coffee- keeps me regular and on track! Sometimes I have a small cup in the afternoon.

I read about a study recently in the New York Times that said women who drink 4 cups of coffee are less likely to get depressed. I like that study!

My surgeon gave me his grudging OK.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Monique A.
on 10/17/11 12:07 pm
I use to tell my family (and coworkers) that I drink coffee for THIER protection..
I am only five weeks post op so I will not be having regular coffee for a long time. I discovered a wonderful cocotion from Starbucks but it costs a bloody fortune:
Decaf skinny latte wtih SF hazelnut and two scoops of protein. I get my coffee AND 12 grams of protein!  On the downside though, I am going poor wtih my daily latte factor.

southernlady5464
on 10/17/11 6:24 pm
Have you considered making your own protein coffee??? Gina (majormom) does and she posted this on her blog:
Protein Coffee
on July 19, 2009 8:55 am
1 - 20 oz shaker cup with wire ball
4 to 6 oz of 1/2 & 1/2, water, or milk
1 to 1 1/2 scoops of IDS Vanilla-Cinnamon protein powder (Champion Nutrition Chocolate, IDS Cappuccino, Nectar Cappuccino, etc.)
{shake} until blended
Add 9 to 10 oz of hot brewed coffee (decaf or reduced caffeine)
{stir}
Pour into large mug

Add hot liquid to cold liquid to avoid lumps. Keep the protein slurry below 160 degrees.

Granted it's not Starbucks but then again, it's way cheaper and available any time you want. :) You still might go broke but not nearly as fast.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views