Workout routine

Kaysmommy
on 1/16/12 10:40 pm - Silver City, NM
Good morning ladies.   I have a question, I have not been doing protein shakes or working out.  I know go ahead and tell me what a dummy I am.  :)  Well I started working out again last week.   I havent lost any weight since Friday, and I have a feeling I need to start working besides just eating almost all protein and taking my vitamins and drinking my fluids.   I guess my question is when working out would you drink a protein drink before or after working out?  I am thinking I need to find a vanilla or chocolate powder I like that I can add to my morning coffee.  

Aimee

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mandy R.
on 1/16/12 11:34 pm - Callahan, FL
Kay,
How much protein are you getting in a normal day?  My NUT states that I should get at least 60 gm, but more like 75-100gm :)  Just worried about ya.  I would probably do it before working out, but not sure.
Mandy

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Caitlyn_Cat
on 1/17/12 12:04 am, edited 1/17/12 12:05 am
From everything I can find out about metabolism and the best time to use the nutrients, I try to drink a protein shake within an hour AFTER exercise. For what it is worth, that time interval is also what Dr. Oz advised.

Height: 5'5" / HW: 223 / SW: 196 / GW: 125 reached 12/22/2011 / CW: 121    
Kaysmommy
on 1/17/12 12:19 am - Silver City, NM
Thank you for the replies.  I know I have been under on protein, and I need to fix that.  I think I usually only get about 40 a day.   I just got home from GNC and got 2 small bags of the wheybolic.  My friend suggested those, so I will give them a try.  I am kicking myself in the butt because before surgery I was so ready to start kicking some butt.  Then after with all my complications and throwing up everything, I am afraid my body is going to try to throw up the shakes again.  Its just a mind game because I know I dont have any strictures and all my complications are behind me.    

Aimee
Jody ***
on 1/17/12 1:41 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Aimee - I like the bags of Wheyabolic when I travel.  Zip enclosers and easy to pack.

Glad you are asking for help and getting some good advice.  You are too early out to let your protein slide.  That could be another reason why you're not losing. 

As far as exercise... yea... I'm there with ya!  I even went and bought a new treadmill in Dec... and used it like 5 times so far.  I'll use it today!!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

loverofcats
on 1/17/12 3:11 am
You do need to get at least 70-80 grams of protein/day. If you just started exercising on Friday, it might be too soon to see any results, since it hasn't even been a week.

Remember, the wheybolic has 100 cal/scoop, so you don't want to use the serving size of 3 scoops/serving. Try adding the powder to Greek Yogurt or other food that you can tolerate.

The wheybolic is actually one of the proteins that I can now tolerate.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Kaysmommy
on 1/17/12 3:22 am - Silver City, NM
I did make an awesome protein coffee with it after my workout this morning.  I knew I only needed 1 scoop.  But it was really good.  I know I need the huge kick in the butt to start getting in more protein.  Today is the day this is all changing.  I plan on starting at least 1 protein drink a day.  I had surgery to get healthy, and Im sure not having enough protein has made me not lose as much at I could have.   A new day and a new me.     Thank you all for not telling me its OK what Ive been doing.  :)

Aimee

loverofcats
on 1/17/12 4:07 am, edited 1/17/12 4:08 am
Glad you knew to use only one scoop. When I first bought the Wheybolic, I looked at the serving size and how many scoops, and I about freaked out. Then I thought, I only need one scoop. It was recommended by the sales person at GNC and is really good to use after exercise, since it has so many nutrients and amino acids added to it. I weight train 2-3 times/week and use the protein after I work out.

If you end up liking it and use it frequently, be alert for when it goes on sale. The larger containers are more cost effective, especially if you are a Gold Card member.

Good Luck!!!

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Price S.
on 1/17/12 3:36 am - Mills River, NC
I take a Lemon tea protein with me to the pool and drink it on the way home.  makes sure I am hydrated and get in the protein.  I mix one scoop of lemon tea protein, a crystal light tube in a qt of water.  I also do protein decaf in the morning and a shake at night.  Keeps my protein levels up.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MacMadame
on 1/18/12 11:09 am - Northern, CA
A typical recovery snack is 100-200 calories with 3 grams of carbs for every gram of protein. That's for normal people though. People who are eating less than 1000 calories and *****cently had WLS probably need more protein and less calories.

What I did when I was in your shoes was eat the snacks I would anyway around my workouts. So, if I was going to have carrots or something like that, I'd have it 30 min. before a workout. Then after I'd have my normal dinner. But I was careful not to add in lots of extra snacks just because I was working out.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views