Problems with the volume of preparing meals???

Lynn5707
on 2/18/12 9:13 am - IN
Hi,

I just thought of this today. Whenever I make anything, especially if it is a casserole type dish, or chili/stew/soup - I make enough for an army! Luckily I have frozen lots of left overs after my surgery - which I use when I don't feel like cooking or take for lunches.

The weird, kinda sad to me, realization I had today was, is I am making what I used to make before surgery for my husband, grandson & me. It would be gone the same day or the next. Seldom would I have left overs. Hmmmm - must have been me! Also I noticed during the holiday season, even thought I did have a couple of cookies and treats, that I had LOTS of left overs, and had to give away our M&M'S that I usually bought bags and bags of in previous years.

So overall, even though I am not perfect, I feel that I have made progress. It just seemed sad when it occurred to me how much I must have really eaten before.

Has anyone else noticed this???

Thanks!

Lynn

MajorMom
on 2/18/12 9:36 am - VA
Oh, yeah, definitely. Our fridge and freezer were stocked with leftovers my first couple of years post-op. Just now starting to get the hang of figuring out how much to fix and only have a day or maybe 2 of leftovers for lunch or another night.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Roz !!!!
on 2/18/12 10:38 am - Butler, PA
Oh my goodness....I never thought of this before but it is so true!!  I do think my DH has cut back a little but I always have so much left over and I never did before.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

bowknot
on 2/18/12 11:32 am
We are working on making smaller portions too. We seem to preheated more than we cook.

DH tends to eat smaller portions when he eats with me. That was a surprise. We have more leftovers now than ever.

Kay
Price S.
on 2/18/12 9:28 pm - Mills River, NC
Luckily, i like leftovers.  I have found if I cook chicken breast or steaks, DH usually eats the other half of mine instead of eating the second one I cook.  I have made progress in how much I cook but not much.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 2/19/12 12:26 am
It is an awakening as to how much food I used to consume in a day!!

I try to cook on the weekend and have enough to eat for lunch and supper then next week.  I hate coming home from work and cooking.  Yesterday I made chili and vegetable beef soup.

I do actually throw food away now - gasp - I never used to throw food away.  It was drilled into me to clear my plate.  That was probably one of the hardest things to get over.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Koko10
on 2/19/12 9:44 am - NC
I agree with you all. It's amazing to me how much I throw away. It has taken a while to get used to it though. I try to get my family to eat the left overs but they have not been too big on it. LOL I'm working on cooking smaller portions and when we go out, I always share with someone. It's girl scout cookies time. I was able to eat just 2 yesterday which satisfied the cravings and I stayed within my sugar goals. LOL This may work out after all.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views