talk me off the ledge please

Tonya499
on 7/30/12 11:54 pm - Riverton, UT
In the "some people just can't be happy category", today I am worried that I am losing too much weight and won't be able to stop.  I am 5'2" and weighed 139 this morning.  Those numbers tell me I have a little left to lose.  Normal BMI is 136 pounds so I am close but not quite there.  The problem lies in the clothing department.  I bought size 6 pants and small shirts this weekend, but when I tried them on this morning some are too big.  Really?  I understand vanity sizing but honestly where do I go after a small?  Not many clothes come in extra small.  I need to exchange some Lee khakis sized 6 for a size 4.  I don't think they even make a size 2.  Juniors size 5/6 are baggy in the butt (some did fit) but way too tight in the legs.  I am eating about 1000-1200 calories a day.  I try for 60 grams of protein, but usually end up in the 50's.  I have been too lazy to seriously exercise.  I want to get started but I don't know if I can eat enough calories to offset the calories burned.  I know that I need to lose a little extra so that when I bounce back I will be just right.  However, today that reasoning isn't helping much. C'mon ladies, help me out.  Tell me its going to be okay. 

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
dasie
on 7/31/12 12:12 am
You get the same amount of protein per day that I do.  I have always struggled in that category.  I want to hire a personal trainer, but I don't think I'm ready for the commitment, yet, and I too worry if I will have the necessary energy level to get my moneys worth.

Even though you are still losing and in a small size, maintenance is an entirely different animal.  I would suspect everything in your personal life at this time is contributing to this.  Once that aspect is fully lined out and you are in a different place, the loss will slow and stop.

I read more than a few times from Vets "lose as much as you can as fast as you can."  That was my goal, but I did not follow their advice.  Consequently I have to be very, very mindful in order to maintain where I am which usually bounces 3 to 4 pounds above my goal.  You don't want that.

Unless your surgeon or PCP tells you they are concerned, I would let your body go where it wants to go.  For many it is like a facet then the loss suddenly stops.

As for clothes, you will need to find a petite clothing line that meets your needs.  They are out there.  It may mean buying online, but I would imagine you will be able to find a brand/label that fits you well.

You are in a coveted place right now....enjoy it.

southernlady5464
on 7/31/12 12:45 am
Tonya, at 5'2", your normal BMI starts at 101 lbs...(that's an 18.5 BMI and is considered normal).

KEEP going as low as you can...do not worry unless you hit 101 lbs and are still in your two year honeymoon...

Maintanence is a WITCH.

As for a size 0-2 try Old Navy...The Sweetheart line fits with almost "normal" waist (as in not hip hugger waist). I have a pair of 4's and they are the best fitting ones.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

loverofcats
on 7/31/12 1:18 am
I generally wear a size 0-2 Petite. Sometimes, I have to find the smaller sizes online and I have a couple pairs of jeans that are size 14 Girls. My outdoor wear is also Girl's 14, with a Boy's size large (?) shirt.

I don't know what your frame size is, but I hope you are doing weight training to maintain your muscle mass. You could hit the middle of your BMI range and be fine. Sometimes the lower range may be too low, depending upon your frame size.

I am 4'11 and average between, 108-110, which is in the middle of the BMI range for my height. I am also medium to large frame.

The clothing issue can be a pain at times. I can't wear anything from Costco anymore, because the sizing is too large. Who would have thought that? Shirts, I can wear, but forget pants.

I would recommend increasing your protein. Being in the 50's is too low.

I don't think I would recommend getting as low as 101, but 115-120's may be good.

A better measure would be, to have your body fat tested. That may help you to decide, where to stop, since a scale number only tells part of the story.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Tonya499
on 7/31/12 3:54 am - Riverton, UT
 I will work on the protein for sure.  And the weight lifting.  Before I got heavy, I was 125-128 and that was with 3 kids, no thyroid and lifting serious weights 2 hrs a day.  I wore a 5/6 then.  So 125 is my goal weight.  I'm a little worried I will look gaunt.  I will follow everyone's advice on here though. Y'all haven't steered me wrong and I credit this board for a lot of my success.  Thanks!

lerkhart
on 7/31/12 4:06 am
Tonya, you might look a little gaunt at first, but your face will fill back out after a while.  I still have some lines, but not like I did a year ago.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Chirs H.
on 7/31/12 3:02 am - Wichita Falls, TX
I am 5'4" and had this same problem several years ago.  I was able to find pants at the Dress Barn.

Can't wait to have this problem again!
Chris

Don't quit before the miracle...

Tonya499
on 7/31/12 5:16 am - Riverton, UT
i posted a picture of me in my new size 6 jeans on my photo page.  My coworkers say it isnt a good picture because I am much skinnier in real life.  I like the picture!

loverofcats
on 7/31/12 7:00 am
I think you look great!!!

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

LinR
on 7/31/12 6:30 am
Keep on losing.  Your body will slow down then stop when it's lost enough.  Then you will have maintenance.  Some manufacturers don't carry small enough sizes.  White House Black Market is a little pricey but has nice sales.  They go to a 00.  Columbia brand goes to a 2.  Guess brand goes to a 0 or 2.  Banana Republic Outlets are great.  They go to a 00.

You should shoot for the minimum of 60g protein and try to get more like 80g in.  You might want to increase your protein shakes.

I looked pretty gaunt the first year and everyone told me they were really worried about me then, but then the fat redistributes itself, my  color improved and I look healthy again.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 309 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 434 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 498 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 519 views