Embarrassing topic for DSer's

Tonya499
on 8/29/12 10:55 am - Riverton, UT
 My surgeon said some DSer's experience foul smelling flatulence.   Well the laxitives I have to take give me the same thing.  Problem is, I have no control over when I pass gas.  It is very embarrassing. I wondered if Beano or probiotics helped.  Any suggestions? BTW I have tried several laxatives and Senna-S is the only that has produced results.

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
southernlady5464
on 8/29/12 11:24 am
Tonya, most of mine is carb dependent...the more carbs I eat, esp white carbs, the worse it gets. Unfortunately, your surgeon forgets that others besides DS'ers can also have "paint peeling gas".

Eating yogurt high in protein helps more than manmade methods such as beano or probiotics.

Since you have to take the laxatives, make sure you stay away from most carbs...and it may take some doing to figure out which one works best.

Also go to WalMart or an auto store for some Ozium. It's a lifesaver.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Ladytazz
on 8/29/12 12:50 pm
I have been dealing with constipation since my surgery.  It was even so bad I gave myself a hernia from straining.  I've been taking Miralax every day for over a year and it  helps but I think my body was getting used to it.  Someone suggested I try chia seeds and I've been taking a tablespoon every day and it really has made a difference.  It's been about a month now and it's still helping.  Really keeps me regular and I haven't noticed any extra odor.  Give it a try, just make sure you drink a lot with it.  The only time I've had a problem since I started taking them is when I ate popcorn, too.  I think it was fiber overload.
Other then that, if it's really a problem there is actually liners and underwear that have activated charcoal that absorbs the odor.  You might try Googling and see if that would help.  I had problems with gas odors for a long time and nothing helped.  I just kept a small bottle of Oxium in my purse and sprayed it discretely whenever I could get a way with it.  Also, probiotics might help.  I eat yogurt every day and the only time I have noticed the odor is when I overdo the sugar alcohol and even that seems to be getting better.  I think my body is just adept at adjusting to whatever I do to it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

lerkhart
on 8/29/12 1:49 pm
Tonya,
I had RNY and if I eat a lot of carbs the gas is horrible smelling and like you said - not much control over it!!

I take 2 stool softners a day plus a capful of miralax and sometimes have to use a suppository.  Never had this problem prior to WLS.

Hope you can find something to help.

Linda 
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/12 8:31 pm
 Holy  cow  grrlz !!!   OK  ...  I  use  refrigerated probiotics  on airplanes n otherwise ......  BUT  .    my only suggestion  is    probiotics   preflight   ....extra fiber ALWAYS .....healthy    lowfat   eating forever ,,,,,,,,rock that tool.......
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 309 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 434 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 498 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 519 views