Asking your doctor about surgery?

horrible_monster
on 10/5/12 12:52 pm, edited 10/5/12 2:17 pm
VSG on 02/27/13
 Hi! I'm totally new here and weirdly nervous even posting, and for some reason this question has been causing more anxiety than anything else. (Possibly because I don't actually have a doctor right now; the one I thought I had fled once she completed her residency. It's been about a year since I last saw her anyway, so I REALLY need to find a new doctor but that's neither here nor there.)

THE QUESTION:

How did bariatric surgery even come up for you? How does a relative “lightweight" (my BMI hovers right around 40) even approach the subject with the doctor?

What was the first step you took from “thinking about maybe considering the possibility of exploring weight loss surgery" toward getting actual members of the medical profession involved?

Later this month I'll be attending a two-hour information session about bariatric surgery. Maybe I'll feel better prepared to ask the doctor-I-need-to-acquire after I've been through the info session? Maybe?

Thanks!

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Ladytazz
on 10/5/12 2:21 pm
I remember that I asked my PCP for a referral to the bariatric department.  That was what got the conversation going.  She was (and is) very supportive about it.
Do you need a referral?  If not you might just mention to him that you went to the informational meeting and you were considering having WLS. 

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Price S.
on 10/5/12 7:45 pm - Mills River, NC
I've had the same PCP for years but the subject never came up for surgery.  Yes, we had discussed my weight a LOT, but never surgery.  I don't think she had many if any who went the surgery route but was open to it when I mentioned it.  I did need a referral letter from her for my insurance which she was happy to provide.  My mind was made up that it was a last chance for me and she never questioned it.  My surgeon still handles my labs althought I get them done at the PCP office.  I quess my first step with the medical profession was an intro meeting although I had read, ask questions here and discussed it with friends/aquatainces who had surgery prior to that.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

southernlady5464
on 10/5/12 10:31 pm
Our current PCP had not mentioned it but was more than willing to give us the referral when approached. What put the bug in our ear was our previous pcp before we moved to TN He suggested it to dh back in 2007...but it was 2010 (almost 2011) before we actually had surgery.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

horrible_monster
on 10/6/12 1:45 am, edited 10/6/12 1:46 am
VSG on 02/27/13

Thanks for the perspective. I guess what I'm bracing for is a first appointment with a new doctor, bringing up wls, and getting scowled at and lectured about how OBVIOUSLY I've never tried to lose weight by any other means etc. No idea why this little scenario has such a grip on me; I've never had a doctor or nurse be imperious or unkind at me in any capacity.  

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

lerkhart
on 10/6/12 7:35 am
I don't remember ever talking with my PCP about WLS.  I knew some people that had it and had spoke to them about it.  I went to the seminar and did not have to have a referral from another doctor.  I did have to do a six month weight loss program and did this through the diabetes program at our local hospital.

Good luck.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
ArmyWife29
on 10/6/12 11:18 pm - GA
 Hi there!  I just wanted to add my insight since I had this conversation with my doctor very recently too.  I started by making an appointment and requesting a full blood panel work up ahead of time (so that my results could be discussed at my appointment). I did this because my cholesterol had been very high for the last 5 years (261) and at my yearly physical last year I was told I was pre-diabetic with fasting glucose just passing the 100 mark (the cut off for pre-diabetic territory). 

I have been extensively researching the types of bariatric surgeries for the last year while also attending weigh****chers and logging food intake (in 16 months I lost a whopping 11 lbs...). I too was SO nervous to talk to my doctor, don't be afraid.  Just be honest.  My BMI is 38, I weigh 221 at 5'4 and I am 29 years old.  I'm actually a great candidate for surgery believe it or not because of my age and relatively good health, they anticipate less complications.  Before my PCM appointment I also attended the free seminar for our center of excellence in my city.  It was great to actually meet a surgeon and the hospitals bariatric insurance coordinator.  They were all SO nice!  

As far as my actual doctors appointment, I asked her to go over my labs with me and then I told her that I had been researching and attended the seminar.  She was impressed!  I brought my online food tracker from WW too, although I don't think she really needed to see it.  She was so supportive!  She actually said "look, I'm no twig either, and I completely relate to your frustration.". I started to cry.  It was such a relief to hear from my doctor that she got it.

ArmyWife29
on 10/6/12 11:23 pm - GA
 I also wanted to add that if your doctor is not supportive and you meet your insurers requirements for surgery, then find a new doctor!  You have to be your own advocate.  You can also call you local bariatric surgeons office and ask them if they can recommend any local PCPs that they work with.  Most will be happy to help.  I am headed to my big pathway orientation on tuesday, and the people on this board have already been so supportive!  I am nervous too being a "lightweight". 

I have also decided on the sleeve as my surgery of choice.  I recommend you educate yourself as much as possible, to include reading the "regrets" and "complications" forums, which can b a bit scary, but also enlightening.  Once you decide n your surgery get to being an active poster on that surgeries forum.  The VSG forum is so helpful!  Feel free to message me, we can be OH buddies :)

Lauren
MacMadame
on 10/7/12 2:44 am - Northern, CA
If you pick a surgeon first, but you need a referral, you can ask the surgeon to refer  you to a PCP who is WLS-friendly and will then refer you back to that surgeon.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 490 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views