My surgeon said Im a lightweight, what does that mean?

smyrnagirl
on 12/13/12 2:32 am - GA
RNY on 01/17/13

Hi everyone,

My surgeon said I am a lightweight, which is the first time I have ever been called that.  I know what he means in that I dont have as much weight to lose as many patients do, but what does it mean in terms of the effects of surgery.  I am considering the RNY and am still researching all the details in this.

Thanks for any advice or help you can give.

Mary Ellen

On the journey to weightloss...one babystep at a time

southernlady5464
on 12/13/12 4:57 am

Welcome to the LW board, Mary Ellen...

Yeah, never considered myself a LW either but we are...if you have less than 100 lbs to lose (give or take some) or your BMI is less than a 40ish.

We aren't hung up on details and welcome everyone here. Make sure you look at all the surgeries...while the RNY works well for a lightweight, if you need NSAIDS for any reason, I would also check out the DS (and yes it works for LW's too) and the sleeve (VSG).

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Price S.
on 12/13/12 6:42 am - Mills River, NC

Welcome.  there is lots good about being a lightweight.  All of the surgeries work for us. I wanted a sleeve but my insurance would only pay for a band (not for me) or RNY.  I love my rny and have no complications.  We have folks here with all surgeries.  As a lightweight, you are more likely to lose all your excess weight and it should take about a year.  Stick around and find out more. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views