hey guys remember me?

browneyedDeeva
on 4/6/13 1:48 pm - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
hey everyone ,
its been a longgggggg time since posting on here . i wanted to give you guys an update . for a refresher ....i had vsg may 26tth 2010 losing around 40ish pds within the 1st few months , i started to gain back weight 5-6 months after . long story short. i felt like a failure thinking that my stomach stretched etc so i decided to seek out a surgeon . so i brought my xray of my sleeve that was givin to me and my surgeon said that the dr in mexico left the "fundis" in i am soooooo angry i paid out of pocket out of desperation . anyway , i am going for a revision here in the states . my dr said if i am ok with 2 options that he has , he will do what he thinks best once hes in there . 1, he can go in there and fix the 1st surgeons error and trim things up or do a bypass which im thinking i might needed the added malabsorbation . so ive never seen more drs in 2 weeks than in my life lol nutritionist, lung dr, cardio dr, shrink, gastro, im almost done with them all i am having surgery on may 3rd . please tell me your thoughts and its very nice to be here xooxox
Lauren B.
on 4/6/13 2:02 pm - Suffolk County, NY

Sounds like you are back on track!!! Good for you. Going to a different surgeon took guts. Glad you've got a new date coming up. Keep us posted.

RNY 8/27/09 SW: 250 LW: 170 CW: 175 On the right path again!!!  

35 pounds of regain!!! 30 lost!!! Just a little more to go.

Huneypie
on 4/6/13 4:38 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
It's pretty standard to only have good restriction for 6 months with the sleeve. The same happened to me. I didn't want a re sleeve as restriction alone hadn't worked for me. Please consider the DS as it's the most obvious revision from a sleeve. There's a list of vetted DS surgeons on DSfacts.com as a non DS surgeon will never offer it.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MacMadame
on 4/8/13 5:39 pm - Northern, CA

Standard according to whom? I have exactly the same restriction now at 4.5 years out that I did at 7 months.

Her doctor has a really bad reputation and I'm not surprise he botched her sleeve. To act like what happened to her is just how a sleeve works is just ridiculous. It's not normal at all.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Huneypie
on 4/9/13 1:43 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

The 6 month window in which to lose weight with the sleeve is pretty openly discussed on sleeve forums.  People can of course lose weight beyond that, but normies can lose weight too.  It's just the window when it's easiest, when restriction is best for most.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MacMadame
on 4/9/13 8:10 am - Northern, CA

Well yeah people talk about the 6 month window all the time. But it's not just sleevers. You hear it about it with RnY which has malabsorption until 18 to 36 months. You even hear it about the DS which has malabsorption for life though of course it does lessen too, as it has to, the human body being what it is and being such a great compensator.

The 6 months window is a combination of the swelling going down in our cut-up tummies, appetite returning and dieting fatigue. The swelling going down is related to restriction but the rest of it is not. Which is why not everyone experiences that 6 month window.

As an example, I never slowed down in my weight loss AT ALL until I got down to a BMI of 21 at 10 months and decided I was tired of being scrawny and losing 1-2 pounds a week with no end in sight and I deliberately upped my calories by adding in things like nuts and slider foods. If I hadn't done that, I would have continued to eat about 1200-1600 calories a day just like I was at 6 months out. But I was training for an Ironman and my body was burning 2000+ a day and I didn't think that was healthy.

It's also somewhat a matter of semantics and what you mean by "good" restriction. if you think 1-2 oz. is "good" restriction and 4-6oz. is not then, sure, by 6 months out, most can eat 4-6oz of food so they don't have "good" restriction any more.  But IMO being able to only eat 1-2 oz. of food is not 'good restriction.' It's TORTURE. mail 4-6oz, to me, is good restriction. I hit that at about 7-8 months and I have it now at 4.5 years and it shows no signs of going away.

Compare this to RnY where the typical RnY can eat a cup, sometimes 1.5 cups of food at 1 year out. To me, that's not good restriction. That's okay restriction. Not bad and better than pre-op but there's an awful lot of wiggle room in there. OTOH, maybe someone with bypass thinks that's great and only being able to eat 4-6 oz. at a time is torture. And that's okay. Different strokes and all.

Finally, when it comes to the sleeve, we have to be careful about saying "standard" because the operation is not standardized yet and one surgeon's sleeve is not another's. As the OP has found out!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MajorMom
on 4/6/13 9:30 pm - VA

I agree with Huneypie. Keep your pyloric valve if you can--just ask Jody about reactive hypoglycemia with her RNY.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 4/6/13 9:41 pm - Mills River, NC

If you are ready to commit to lifelong vits, mins and protein and a really new way of eating, I think DS has the greatest chance of longterm success.  I love my RNY but am jealous of the DS folks at times.  I am very glad I didn't end up with a sleeve because I think I would have had more trouble keeping the weight off. 

I would go with the RNY if you don't either find a Dr to do the DS or just have the choice of repair of sleeve or RNY. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

jashley
on 4/7/13 2:12 am
DS on 12/19/12

I researched both the RNY and the DS in making my decision.  I only wanted to do this once since I was paying out of pocket myself. 

The key for me was the long term weight loss.  I did not want to gain it all back.  Malabsorbtion works the best for me, so the DS became the logical choice. 

Jody ***
on 4/7/13 2:12 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

My opinion - go for the malabsorption.  And do the DS... revising from a sleeve to RNY may be doable, but it's just a natural progression to do the DS with the sleeve.  

Gina mentioned I have Reactive Hypoglycemia - it's common for folks with RNY to get it.  Some get it worse than others, but it definitely is something that needs to be managed. Not everyone does.. but...   I wish I had my pyloric valve back at times... 

Glad you are taking steps to fix the Dr's issue.  Glad to see you back!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 316 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 438 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 501 views