hungry already??

MarthaMyDear
on 5/4/13 2:36 am - PA
RNY on 04/09/13

I had my surgery on 4/9 by pass, today is the first day that I feel hungry, I hadn't had that feeling before so is this normal? Even before my surgery I wouldn't always feel hungry (just ate too much and the wrong foods) so this is different for me is it too soon to feel hungry or not? Just nervous eating pureed food for another week.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Kermit P.
on 5/4/13 6:57 am

A couple of things.....most RNYs do not feel hunger for sometime.  I did....pretty early out.  I also could feel fullness and this was helpful in some ways as I NEVER over ate.  Acid can mimic hunger so you may want to consider prilosec or something similiar.  When you eat do you feel full quickly???  Also drink a lot as sometimes we are thirsty when we feel hunger.   I was SHOCKED to feel hunger so early out and struggle with this now as I am hungry often.

As far as lack of hunger pre-surgery.....were you a grazer?   A lot people do not experience significant hunger as they often and a lot.

Good luck...measure your foods if you need to.....

Jennifer

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Price S.
on 5/4/13 10:12 pm - Mills River, NC

Not sure when I first felt hungry but it was a while out.  What I felt first was empty, not really hungry.  I know that sounds strange.  Anyway, my program was to eat (even if we are talking pureed) every 2.5-3 hrs in the beginning, just a 1/4c.  So I didn't have much chance to get hungry.  I didn't really have head hunger like some folks do either.  I do think I am hungry sometimes when I am thirsty.  If I haven't had a good drink since my last meal, I do that first.  When I worked down to 4 meals a day, which I am still on at 2+ yrs out, I have at least 20 oz between each meal and that before breakfast and 16 after dinner.

Some Drs want folks on 3 meals a day, no snacks, no protein drinks.  That wouldn't work for me.  Glad I had someone who was more sensible.  We started on 6-8 meals a day and worked our way to 4-5.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 5/4/13 10:48 pm, edited 5/4/13 10:49 pm - Butler, PA

About 2 weeks after surgery I thought I was having hunger but it turned out it wasn't.  My Surgeon told me to go back on my Prilosec and I still take it every day and I'm 4.5 years out.  Like others said...you could be thirsty.  Try to figure out what helps and don't over eat. 

When you start eating real food measure your food if you can. 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

MarthaMyDear
on 5/5/13 3:00 am - PA
RNY on 04/09/13
It was just that one time that I felt hungry, I did drink and then had lunch.
No I wasn't a grazer I guess I was so inactive that I didn't burn up my food.
I had cottage cheese yesterday could having something different cause the hunger feeling? Today I had my protein drink (my usual breakfast) and I didn't get that feeling.
Procaze___(spell)? How would that help? I thought that was for heart burned?
I will start to measure everything, been doing it half heartily.
Thanks for your suggestions!!
Price S.
on 5/5/13 6:43 am - Mills River, NC

Prilosec is an acid reducer so it works for heart burn but it is also helpful for folks with RNY and WLS to reduce the acid and helps with gnawing feelings.  I still take it, 2+ years out.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

hollykim
on 5/5/13 10:30 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Sometimes it is WHAT we are eating that causes more hunger. I know cottage cheese is on your mushy list and it is a fine option but the milk sugar in it might make you hungry a little sooner.

sugar ,even natural sugar like that in milk is a carb. Sugar are carbs,carbs are sugar. White things like rice ,pasta,breads,etc are carbs and turn into sugar as soon as they hit your mouth.

Fruit,applesauce,even no sugar added, is sugar,from the natural sugar in apples.

Prilosec is for heartburn or acid reflux as it is also called.

I have a sleeve but it is still small like your pouch. sometimes our sleeves/pouches don't realize that part of them have been cut off and they continue to make the same amount of stomach acid as was needed for our large stomachs.  Sometimes,we don't feel "heartburn" but a kinda rolly,hungry,feed me,do something...kind of feeling.

it is hard to avoid these items on a  mushy diet but as you progress onto more dense protein,you might be less hungry. the more you can stay away from carbs,the more it might help.

GL

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 315 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 437 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 500 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 522 views