What's on your bucket list? Mine was learning to ride a motorcycle

LucysJourney
on 5/4/13 8:11 am - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

I have a lot of items on my bucket list, but I was able to knock one of them off during the month of April.  I took a class at our local Community College and learned how to ride a motorcycle.  And YES, I now have my license.  I aced the written test and tied with one other person for the highest score in the driving portion of the test.  I have absolutely fallen in love with motorcycles.  My daughter, and hubby also took the class with me and we all are "legal" now.

I am now on the hunt for a bike.  So if any of you know of a bike built for a (I love the sound of this) SMALL girl I am interested in hearing about it.  I am 5'3" so I need something low to the ground.  My arms are not really long either so I need to be able to reach the grips comfortably.   Give me a holler if you hear of something.

~~ Lucy

Price S.
on 5/4/13 11:09 am - Mills River, NC

DH and I rode bikes when we first got married, 40 yrs ago.  I had a horrible time finding a bike that I could handle, and it would still keep up with his big bike.  I ended up with a suziki 250.  He took my bike apart when we found out I was pregnant with my son, with the intent of getting it back together at some point.  But it is still in a box.  Oh well.

Good luck with your hunt.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

LucysJourney
on 5/4/13 9:39 pm - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

Thanks for the luck wish.  I guess you could say you are still under "horse" or should I say "pony" power...

~~ Lucy

jashley
on 5/4/13 12:46 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I rode a Honda Knight Hawk for years.  I am 5 foot, 2 inches.  If I laid the bike down, I could not get it back up - so I was pretty carfull.

There is another motorcycle that I was looking at because the saddle was low to the ground.  Made by Honda.  It looked like it was a Harley on Easy Rider.  The handle bars came up high like that also.  It would have been perfect for me because the seat was low to the ground, and I could have tilted the handle bars back towards me for a good grip on the clutch and brake.

I always rode a Honda.  I lived with a man that rode with a Harley group.  And I would ride with them.  Used to make me laugh - they would call my bike a 'rice rocket', 'rice burner', a '5 & dime bike'.  My Honda never conked out, and it started every time.  I ran for parts when they broke down!

LucysJourney
on 5/4/13 9:37 pm - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

That's hilarious...I have kept my eye on a sweet Honda Shadow Spirit in Blue with flames and lots of chrome.  It just isn't located in or around my town so I am having a hard time getting out to look at it.  But it is sweet looking...and I watched a YouTube video the owner sent me...SWEET RIDE.

~~ Lucy

jashley
on 5/5/13 12:23 am
DS on 12/19/12

I googled the Shadow Spirit.  That is a nice looking bike....

MrsLitch
on 5/5/13 12:29 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I got my first bike for my 9th birthday a little honda elsinore MR 50 I loved that dirt bike!! I would love to be legal and get one when the last two kids are grown and out of high school.

My I've lost it all bucket list item is to go para sailing. Now that the weight is gone I want to feel like I'm floating above it all!! Might sound weird but to me it signifies the release of the weight and the issues that got me there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Spencerella
on 5/5/13 4:56 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Motorcycles are on my list too!  I'm hoping to get my first bike sometime this spring.  Another shortie here at just 5'2". Looking at a Triumph America.  A  mid size bike in weight and ccs but still easy to put my feet on solidly on the ground.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Linda B.
on 5/5/13 8:49 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Well, I don't have riding a motorcycle on my bucket list, but I do have some interesting things I want to do. Not all of them are related to my new, smaller body, but some are.

Participate in an ice skating competition (scheduled for July)

See the SF 49rs play at Candlestick park before they move (may not happen, tickets cost a small fortune)

Learn to pressure can non-acidic foods, I already know how to water bath can (planting the garden for this project now)

Ski on Independence Day one year when the resorts are open (usually in Colorado)

Well, that is a few of my bucket list items...next.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Jody ***
on 5/5/13 9:17 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I have a couple of motorcycles and have rode for years.  I started out with a kawasaki 450 limited.. (1980something)  Nice little bike.

I now have a Suzuki Boulevard S50 which is the old Intruder 800.  I also have a Honda VTX 1300.  Great bike!

The Honda 750 Shadows are also nice low bikes, along with the Yamaha 650 and the Triumph that was mentioned in another post.  I've also had an Intruder 1400 but wouldn't recommend that as a starter bike as it is a bit top heavy. All the other bikes are well balance and proportioned.

Stay away from Harleys (IMO) unless you like a lot of vibration and costly repairs.  They also are typically twice the cost of a "riceburner" but your "riceburner" will be reliable and start every time!! (especially the Hondas and Yamahas)

Also realize that, us of "shorter stature" require modifications to bikes to make them "our own" and fit us.  I've had to have handlebar risers put on every single bike I've owned to get them back to a comfy position.  Otherwise my shoulder screams at me and my arms are straight.  I've had progressive shocks put on to "lower" the bike.  I've also had seat modifications to make it more comfy.  I'm sure as you ride and time goes on you'll know what you need to do.  

Depending on your leg length, you may want to try the Yamaha 950.  I couldn't reach the foot controls comfy, but sitting on it, with the handlebars were good.  Driving it was another thing.  

All in all, my recommendation would be to find a nice Suzuki S50.  They are a slim bike, easy to reach, but you may require risers.  I don't like calling it a "starter bike" since it is an 800cc, but it is.  You will easily move up to bigger bikes from there if you want.  Also check out the Honda 750 and Yamaha 650.  See what fits you and works for you.    Unfortunately a lot of people and dealers won't allow test rides.. makes it difficult.  

Now - not meaning to sound mean, but taking the course and passing it means you're qualified to ride around a parking lot.  Keep that in mind when you venture to the street.  It's a whole different ballgame!!  

Have fun, stay safe and enjoy your ride!  If you need to discuss more, please feel free to PM me.  I'm always happy to talk about motorcycles!!

As far as bucket lists - I don't have one.  I've done pretty much everything I've wanted to.  My bucket list is to retire again and sit on my sunporch drinking coffee in the morning.  

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views