Tea?

bostonlass
on 9/17/13 11:51 pm - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

I am three weeks out and have started back to work as of yesterday.  I am tired and wondered if it's safe now to have a cup of tea? I"m getting in 68 oz of fluids so that's not a problem.  I"m soooooo tired sitting here at my desk.yes

Lauren B.
on 9/18/13 12:17 am - Suffolk County, NY

What are you concerned about? The caffeine? My surgeon provided us with a shake list of ideas and one was a coffee one made with instant coffee. I'd say 99% that it didn't specify decaf. 

Would be interested to hear what other folks were told.

RNY 8/27/09 SW: 250 LW: 170 CW: 175 On the right path again!!!  

35 pounds of regain!!! 30 lost!!! Just a little more to go.

bostonlass
on 9/18/13 12:21 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Well I wasn't allowed it pre-surgery and post-op I needed to focus on getting my water/fluids in. Now that that's all set I just wonder if it's ok again. It wasn't mentioned at my last group NUT meeting and now I'm regretting not bringing it up. I think I'll just call the NUT and see what she says. 

southernlady5464
on 9/18/13 1:04 am

First off, you are STILL recovering from major surgery...even if done lap. At three weeks, even with something as simple as a gallbladder removal, I still got tired easily. I know it's hard to be at work, but I'm not sure I could have gone back so soon myself. Others have tho so....

If your body was use to tea/caffeine, tea should not be an issue. BUT be careful with your sleeve, it is still healing. So yes, call your surgeon's office.

However if they tote out the tired and UNTRUE idea of caffeine being dehydrating...that is wrong. http://www.webmd.com/balance/caffeine-myths-and-facts?page=2

Caffeine Myth No. 5: Caffeine Has a Dehydrating Effect

Caffeine can make you need to urinate. However, the fluid you consume in caffeinated beverages tends to offset the effects of fluid loss when you urinate. The bottom line is that although caffeine does act as a mild diuretic, studies show drinking caffeinated drinks in moderation doesn't actually cause dehydration.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

bostonlass
on 9/18/13 1:08 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Thanks. I have a total desk job so it's basically the same as sitting at home, except I have to think here. lol. I have a call into the NUT so I'll wait for her approval. Smelling pumpkin coffee throughout the office as well. 

southernlady5464
on 9/18/13 1:13 am

Not only do you have to think, you can't just go lay down and take a nap when you feel like it...hang in there, it's halfway thru the week now.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

bostonlass
on 9/18/13 2:09 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

NUT called back - only decaf. She said three weeks is too soon for caffeine. *sigh*  Glad I asked!

Candy V.
on 9/18/13 2:27 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

There are lots of great tasting herbal teas out there if you just want something warming.  I like different varieties of mint teas.

:)

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

bostonlass
on 9/18/13 2:28 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

I"m having a decaf lemon zinger tea right now.

Price S.
on 9/18/13 5:17 am - Mills River, NC

I am still mostly decaf but I do allow myself some green tea from time to time.  And when I am driving, sometime I get a splash of regular coffee in my decaf but it really does affect me now and I am up half the night.

Where is your D level?  my energy seemed to come up about the same time my D did.  But I was really wiped out for at least 6 weeks.  by then I could stay up all night but I still slept from 8pm to 7am daily.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views