New LW to the forum

pst726
on 11/12/13 4:30 am - TX

Hi all! I am currently waiting insurance approval to try and get a revision from the Lap-band to RNY. 

I have been lurking around these forums for a while now and have learned a lot from you all. Thank you! 

I am getting ready to start my own pre-op diet even before surgery is scheduled to try and drop a few pounds, or at least get more accustomed to the after life diet. I wanted to know which protein shakes are your favorites. I have never found a protein shake I liked and I honestly do not know what to look at as far as the labels to know if it is a good one or not. There are som many out there that I get confused and just walk away.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

MajorMom
on 11/12/13 6:25 am - VA

Welcome aboard!  

My favorite protein powders are Syntrax Nectar vanilla for protein coffee and chocolate and strawberry mousse for lunchtime shakes. You want to read that label and see whey protein isolate as the first ingredient and little or no carbs.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

A. Kondrlik
on 11/12/13 7:30 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Welcome aboard!

Pre op I used Unjury  I liked all the flavors,  The chicken soup flavor is a nice change.

Post op I couldn't stand the taste of Unjury, I now LOVE syntrax nectar cappucino flavor.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

TexasTerritory
on 11/12/13 7:43 am
VSG on 07/22/13
When I was on clear liquids I used isopure- unflavored in chicken broth. It was doable but once I progressed to full liquids (and now), I use premier RTD shakes-chocolate. I am only 3.5 months out and am losing very slowly. I consume two shakes a day to get my protein. Good luck to you.

MacMadame
on 11/12/13 7:47 am - Northern, CA

Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie and Chike -- mostly Banana Magic and Orange Creme but the Very Vanilla is okay.

That's about it. I'm picky.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Price S.
on 11/12/13 8:12 am - Mills River, NC

My Dr was very specific about which were ok and not.  I personally have never liked any of the RTD.  I liked early out and still do like Syntrax, Vanilla, chocolate, lemon tea, carribeann cooler and Matrix mint cookie.  As gina said, look for whey isolate and 0 carbs especally in the beginning.  Oh yeah, Unjury chicken soup was a good break from sweet.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

southernlady5464
on 11/12/13 8:34 am

Welcome to the LW board.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

italianspice
on 11/12/13 10:54 am - Eastlake, OH
Welcome!
Congrats on the beginning of your journey.
Just to let you know my tastes changed radically after surgery so I wouldn't stock up too far in advanced.
I was so glad I had gotten free samples of chewable vitamins that I could try postoperative. There was a lot of trial and error. I also ordered a wide range of protein samples from vita lady. I kept track of what I could tolerate and could not.
I still use about time protein powder everyday. Cinnamon swirl with my coffee. Never have been a big breakfast fan,
Good luck!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Roz !!!!
on 11/12/13 11:45 pm - Butler, PA

Your taste buds will change for awhile after surgery. The Best Protein I've found out there as far as stats and flavor are the Syntrax ones.  They come in a lot of flavors, only 90 calories, 0 fat, 0 carbs, 23g of Protein.  You can order a 12 pack sampler at http://www.si03.com/reg_index.htm for 13.99 whi*****ludes shipping.  I would wait until after WLS to try them.  My favorite is the Lemon Tea.  It is mild enough to drink plain or mild enough to add flavorings like MIO or Crystal Lite.   Syntrax also makes Matrix and my favorite is Mint Cookie.    It is a little higher in calories and has a few carbs but I only drink it one time a day.  That's my breakfast every morning.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Huneypie
on 11/13/13 2:57 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Welcome.  I know someone in the UK that likes Champion Whey but I'm just not prepared to pay transatlantic shipping rates and tax for such a heavy item when we have protein available in the UK. ;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views