Maintenance is the HARDEST Thing!

Susiekay
on 1/14/14 12:19 am
RNY on 04/24/12

Ok so, I don't post much but I feel like I need your input.  I had lap bad which was revised to RYN on 4/28/12.  I WAS at 148 lbs/my DR goal for me, but not mine....( I think I stayed at that weight for 2 days)... I started a crossfit class 2 days a week and have been going for almost 2 months.  I am up to 157.....OMG!!!!  I hate this, but I am contributing this to the strength building.  I have not changed my eating habits at all, and I am hoping its not bounce back weight....Anyway, I called my NUT and asked for her advise and to help me and she says, the weight gain is probably due to me STRETCHING MY POUCH!!!!! REALLY!!!???!!! and she also went on to say that I should be eating NO MORE than 1/4 of food at a time.....UGH!!!! Is that even practical at 21 months out???????   When I call her my NUT, I mean it in every sense of the word.......I am beyond frustrated with someone who I wanted to help me not **** me off......

This is what I ate yesterday

Lemon/Honey tea (1 tbsp honey; 1/4 squeezed lemon, black tea bag)  Question:  Is 1 TBSP on honey enough to make me gain?

Protien coffee  (1 scoop unjury, coffee, s/g creamer/2 tbsp) 20 grams protien

Protien coffee  (1 scoop unjury, coffee, s/g creamer/2 tbsp) 20 grams protien

1 small Wendy's chili w/cheese 6 saltine crackers  17 grams protien

Protien coffee  (1 scoop unjury, coffee, s/g creamer/2 tbsp) 20 Grams protien

1 small bag beef jerky  17 grams protien

Chicken alfredo with veggies over tofu noodles and brussell sprouts

Got hungry and instead of grabing another protien coffee I grabed a hand full of animal crackers, 1 cup milk, 1 graham cracker with peanut butter.....UGH!!!!!! WHY??????  The bad carbs are in the house because my 2 yr old grand daughter is living with me.

PLEASE HELP!!!!    Today is a new day, I will try to avoid bad carbs.......

Note:  I struggle with Reactive hypoglycemia.  Its seems when I do eat carbs, I get hungry sooner than I would normally and reach for carbs to get my blood sugar back up..  I've read that people with RH tend to regain weight more than people w/o it.  That scares me to death......I'm afraid I am on the slope going back up??????

lerkhart
on 1/14/14 12:45 am

I agree that maintenance is so much harder.

I would be really careful with the carbs.  They really seem to bloat me up and make me gain.  Are you putting your food into some type of system like MyFitnessPal?  You might want to consider that for a while to get the total count of everything including carbs.  Or if you want to post on Roz's Menus and Miles it really helps with the accountability(says the person who has posted since Friday!!)

Was it regular milk or some other type of milk?  I use the Hood Calorie Count Down Low carb because it has a very low amount of carbs.

Good luck.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
danixbanani
on 1/14/14 1:03 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Looking at your menu, I believe there are some things you can cut out.  for instance, the saltine crackers with your chili.  I know it's hard but you don't need them, they are useless carbs and calories.  Also, I know you have to have some snacks for your granddaughter but you need to try to avoid them as best you can.  Sometimes if I'm having a sweet carb craving, I will eat a tbsp of PB right out of the jar.  I think you need to cut the carbs and find a replacement for your crunch or sweet cravings.

I don't think the tbsp of honey a day would make you gain weight but maybe try cutting it in half?  What are the calories/carb/fat count of your protein coffees?  You had three on that menu and while the protein is good, the other stuff may not be.

Lastly, maybe you're eating too much sodium?  beef jerky has a lot of sodium and if you used a jarred sauce of Alfredo for your chicken, that could have a lot of sodium in it too.  I know it's a pain in the butt but if you spend every day trying to make baby steps toward cutting carbs/sugar/sodium, perhaps you will be able to pin point where/why you are gaining.  I don't at 2 years out it is realistic to only eat 1/4 cup of food but I also don't think you should be over doing it either.  I wish you luck and hope you find the answer soon!  hang in there!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Susiekay
on 1/14/14 1:13 am
RNY on 04/24/12

My Protien coffee has 2 tbsp of s/f creamer 40 cals along with the Protein it has a total of 130 cals. 

Price S.
on 1/14/14 4:13 am - Mills River, NC

no 1/4c isn't reasonable unless you are going to eat every hour.  I would use a tracker for a while and see what you are really consuming.  List everything.  those sneeky carbs will get you. 

Bounceback is real and you are about at the point where it starts.

I like to think my extra weight is muscle and my body scan said I was 19% fat, which is less than the norm. I still fit in to my clothes and look ok but my middle is bigger than it use to be.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Candy V.
on 1/14/14 5:38 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

You have gotten great advise already just wanted to add that I am 16 months out and would STARVE on 1/4 cup of food at a time.  My program is 1 to 1-1/2 cups once you are over a year

1/4 cup is BS, call her out on that, check with your surgeons office!

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

A. Kondrlik
on 1/14/14 6:06 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I had a VSG so I don't have the issue with hyperglycemia, but my daughter had the RNY and occasionally her blood sugar bottoms out.  She tends to use carbs to bring it back up (sometimes it gets REALLY low)  From what I understand it is better to prevent it by eating protein based meals at regular intervals. 

I am not a protein drink person, so I don't mean to offend, but it seems like you are relying on protein drinks for alot of your protein.  Maybe you would be more satisfied and have less carb cravings if  you had the pleasure of chewing. And studies have found that a good bit of our satisfaction with our meals comes from the physical act of chewing, even the sound of chewing makes our meals more satisfying. Try some dense protein for your snack (meat!, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese sticks)

I agree that it is essential to decide what your daily goals are as to protein, carbs and calories and use something like My fitness Pal to record your daily intake.  Once I eat my protein, a couple servings of fruit and 3 or 4 servings of vegetables there is not alot of room left for grains like bread and crackers, though I do include these in small amounts every day.

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Ladytazz
on 1/14/14 6:53 am

I don't have any proof or explanation but it seems that those who allow simple carbs in their plan have a harder time losing all the weight they want and a harder time with maintenance.  Even with the calories being the same it seems.  I don't know if it's because they are really eating more calories then they are aware of or why but it seems that those who eat a diet high in dense protein and low in refined carbs (low as in none) seem to do better.  I avoid sugar and gluten and so far I haven't had much problem managing my weight.  If anything it's a little lower then I want.

I always advice people to give up sugar and gluten for 30 days and focus on more dense protein and complex carbs and see if anything changes.  It may be hard to detox off the carbs but once you do it gets easier.  And if the results aren't any better you can always go back to them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MacMadame
on 1/14/14 5:10 pm - Northern, CA

If you started Crossfit, you should be building muscle. So your weight will go up. But your size should not. Do your clothes fit better, the same or worse?

If they fit the same or better, you don't have a problem. If they fit worse, you do.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 299 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 424 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 485 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 504 views