salad?

Lea Terrell
on 4/8/14 10:48 pm

Good morning to everyone, hope you have a day filled with many blessings.

Yesterday I had about 1/3 of a small mixed salad and ended up with the worst stomach cramps for about 3 hours...is this normal at 3 months out? It was the first time I had tried lettuce, also had some cod. Is it too soon to have salad? I do ok with other vegies.

RNY - 12/26/2013.  H W: 278.   SW: 230                                                                                                     

southernlady5464
on 4/9/14 12:43 am

It's hard to tell...what works for some won't for others.

Okay, by salad, did you mean the whole "everything but the kitchen sink type"?

I had to start with a salad of JUST lettuce and dressing. Then added tomato and each time I ate one, I added ONE more item...if I had an issue, then I knew which food was the offender.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

1stbase
on 4/9/14 3:07 am - NY
RNY on 11/06/13 with

I'm just over 5 months post-op, and up until now I've only tried up to about 3-5 bites of salad, as I'm instructed to take in protein first, I really don't have room for much salad =) .. as far my understanding goes .. raw veggies can be rough on new pouches, so I've tried to reintroduce them a little at a time .. similar to what the last posted had said, a little lettuce, a little dressing, some tomatoes, etc.

RNY: 11/06/2013     HT: 5'5"     SW: 250     GW: 150s

“Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.” ~Raymond Lindquist 

Roz !!!!
on 4/9/14 3:12 am - Butler, PA

I don't eat much salad but I do remember I wasn't allowed them early out.  Maybe it was the dressing....sugar or fat.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

A. Kondrlik
on 4/9/14 9:48 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Just start off really slowly.  I started off with literally ONE spinach leaf. loL.  Try one new veggie at a time in tiny amounts and chew chew chew.  maybe you need to wait a few more weeks.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Lea Terrell
on 4/9/14 11:13 pm

thank you all so much, it was just some chopped lettuce and I think there were some small chopped tomatoes...love salad, will wait until later to try it again! HA! what is funny is all I put on it was salt & pepper because I don't like salad dressing...after writing yesterday I went to my notebook from the surgeon and it says...no....I gotta learn to read before I eat...lol..open mouth, insert correct food...

RNY - 12/26/2013.  H W: 278.   SW: 230                                                                                                     

Tracy D.
on 4/10/14 4:33 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

At 3 months out I wouldn't have tried salad.  I was still sticking mostly to all protein with a couple bites of veggies.  Even at 10 months out, here's my feeling about most typical "salads":  they are simply vehicles for fatty dressing and not worth the valuable real estate they take up in my stomach.   

If you want to pick off all the good protein and other raw veggies and eat it, fine.  But the lettuce itself (unless it's spinach) is totally without nutritional benefit for us...IMHO, not worth it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views