Exercise after surgery?

Noragretz
on 9/28/14 6:39 am
VSG on 09/05/14

So does anyone know what is acceptable for exercise after surgery? I am 23 days out from vsg surgery that included repair of a hiatal hernia. I have been walking some on my treadmill for 30 minutes, not daily, but since surgery. I have gotten my speed up to a normal walking pace (I was slow at first). A few days ago I did a faster pace walk and used my incline, so I was actually working up a light sweat.  Anyhoo, I noticed the next day my diaphram? was sore? And had some more of that upper left shoulder pain that we all got after surgery... I ended up having to take some pain med again for that.  I don't see in my doctors take home information what is acceptable for exercise or intensity. Does anyone have some guidelines that have to share?   Am I pushing it too soon? I realize that I need to get in for a follow up, but I am broke at the moment from taking time off for the surgery, so its going to have to wait till October.

Outpatient VSG 9/5/14

with Dr. Umbach  in Henderson NV

lerkhart
on 9/29/14 1:51 am

I walked at the mall not a really fast pace but just to get some exercise.  I would not do the incline and not try for speed.  No weights I wouldn't think yet.  

If you have much pain, you really need to see your surgeon.  No follow-up was included in your costs?  

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Jody ***
on 9/29/14 1:54 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Listen to your body.  If you had pain, then back it down a bit and work your way back up.  I'd think at 23 days out you should be good to go, but everyone is different.  The shoulder pain could have just been some excess gas that got dislodged during your walk. 

Maybe do some deep breathing exercises also to strengthen your lungs/diaphram.  I know when I've been in for various surgeries I had this little blue thing I had to blow into to keep my lungs clear.  I hated it, but know it was for the best. 

I didn't start exercising for MONTHS so you're doing fabulous at 23 days out!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Price S.
on 9/29/14 2:54 am - Mills River, NC

I'm surprised too that no follow up was included.  All of my first appointments and follow ups for a year were included in the price of surgery.

I agree with the gas causing the left shoulder pain.  I would just take it a little easier until you get back in.  But if you have more pain than just soreness, call your Dr. 

We could walk from the beginning but needed to wait 6 weeks for any abdominal exercise or weights.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Noragretz
on 9/29/14 11:43 am
VSG on 09/05/14

Sorry, it's the time off of work that I cannot afford till next month. The doctor is 5 hours  drive away.  So it's a hotel stay and gas. And likely a missed day of work. Obviously it won't be much on food costs :-P   I get only 4 sick days and 4 vacation days a year and I'm all used up. And days off I take now are unpaid. So I had two little paychecks for September, and I need to wait till October to have any extra money.   I will listen to my body. I'm just eager to lose weight. I do have that device for breathing, I just used it again yesterday. 

Outpatient VSG 9/5/14

with Dr. Umbach  in Henderson NV

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views