Just found the Lightweights board~ Upcoming Sleeve Dec 1st

WLStruggles
on 11/7/14 3:59 pm

Just wanted to drop in and say hi.  I have been on the sleeve board and just found the lightweight board tonight.  I am anxiously awaiting sleeve surgery just after Thanksgiving.  Still a little "discomboulated"--  It took so long to get to this point and now it seems to be happening so fast.  I have an upper GI and Endoscopy scheduled next week, blood tests to run, NUT instructions to study, Set up PT, plan my post of diet, new strength training program to begin, and a pre-op class.  Then my Thanksgiving hooray with the family, before my new way of life really begins.    I'm not sure if I'm going or going, so much to do, so much to think about!  

I'm 5'1 1/2"  54 yrs.  Any/all advice appreciated.  I am curious what you all enjoyed (or at least tolerated) during that 2 week post op liquid diet.

MajorMom
on 11/7/14 6:21 pm - VA

Welcome aboard!    

I didn't have to do a liquid pre-op diet, as a light weight, the surgeon didn't think I needed it. I played around with different protein supplements during that time though. Chocolate Syntrax Nectar shakes won out and even lasted through the keytosis that's happens post-op where all your food tastes like aluminum foil.  lol

Keep us posted on your prep for surgery and good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 11/7/14 8:35 pm - Mills River, NC

Welcome!!!

We all seemed to have different pre and post op plans so you really just need to follow whatever your surgeon suggest.  I would stress that it is helpful to decarb and decaf ahead of time and to learn to not drink with meals and take tiny, pencil eraser sized bites. 

As far as after surgery, I found that as Gina said, nothing tasted right or good.  Warm or at least room temp was much better than cold anything.  Unflavored (which still does have a taste but it isn't chocolate, vanilla, etc) is great to add to broth, herbal tea, pudding, yogurt, etc as those are on your plan.  You can order protein samples from many source and that is a way to try lots but I also ended up with most of my favorite products from Syntrax.

You are right, after seeming like a dream for a long time, in the end it is a rush and all of a sudden it is here.  You are on the way to the rest of your life.  Check in with us often and let us know how you are doing.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 11/7/14 11:42 pm - Butler, PA

Welcome to our LW Board!!!!  

If I had a way to "Like" Prices post I would.  Wouldn't want to copy her post...that might be tacky....lol but my experience would be almost identical to hers. 

Pre-op was easy.  I just followed my NUTs advice.  The first couple of monts after  WLS I struggled with everything tasting extremely sour, salty, and strong.  I ate very bland foods for the first few weeks.  It wasn't a problem just an inconvenience. You will just have to experiment and see what works for you. 

We are here for you if you have any concerns.  Let us know your date and Keep us posted on your progress.

The LW's represent every surgery type but most of eat the same way.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

WLStruggles
on 11/8/14 1:24 am

Thanks for the welcome's and responses so far! I've been warned by the surgeons and the NUT that while these types of boards can be great for support, the NUT guidelines as well as surgeons protocol are typically very different between programs.  They want to make sure I distinguish between the two.  I don't have a PRE-op diet, just "liquids" the day before.  I have a list of examples of things I can have POST-op during the liquid stage, and can email my NUT anytime if I have a question.  I would have thought that Yogurt was something I would have to wait for pureed stage for, it's so thick, but she said I can use it in the liquid stage.  Even though a container might last me a day or two, it's nice to know I can have something that will require a spoon.  ;-)  

My Dr only requested I lose 5 lbs before surgery, but it was exactly one month between seeing her and my visits with other staff yesterday and the scale hadn't moved an ounce.  I told the NUT I might try what I see some other people do and that's to have a couple of protein shakes as their first 2 meals, then have a protein/veg dinner for a week or two before surgery (sans Thanksgiving, where I plan to partake but not go wild.  After cooking all day, my interest in the actual meal ways)  She told me not to stress over the 5 lbs, but if I wanted to try that, it was ok.  She reminded me that I will be using protein supplements for a few months after surgery and she just didn't want me to get sick of them before it was essential I used them.  I'm rethinking. 

As far as suggestions, I think, for the most part, the "liquid stage" is the liquid stage and I was just looking for ideas of things people found palatable.  I know lots of people loved the sugar free popsicles.  Adding unflavored protein to SF/FF puddings.  The NUT said I could have broth soups, but the only thing that sounds good at this point is maybe tomato soup and the broth from Olive Garden's Minestrone.  I might see if I can cut a deal with them for just some broth.  Maybe 2 for 1, that would last for awhile.  ;-)  

I asked about my own protein smoothie recipes where I add a little banana and powdered peanut butter to the chocolate protein and water, she said if it's too thick I should save it for pureed.  (same as adding spinach to make a green protein smoothie)  I'm sure it's not thicker than yogurt, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I will probably have plenty of ready to drink shakes available just out of convenience during that stage.  Anyway, that's the kinds of advice I'm looking for.  Not really deviating from my Dr or NUT's plan, but just ideas what others might have enjoyed by way of liquids.

Price S.
on 11/8/14 6:06 am - Mills River, NC

We couldn't have tomato soup or juice for a few weeks because of the natural sugar.  You may want to ask about that.  I was thrilled when I could do V8 with unflavored protein for a break from the sweet stuff.  Unjury makes a chicken soup that was wonderful also for a break.  I hate popcycles so that was never an option for me, plus cold was painful.  We couldn't even do chocolate protein for the first 10 days but my group was pretty strict. 

to be truthful, I was so unhungry, I just ate/drank what was on my plan and was happy when the next phase came up and I could have something different, lol.  I did lots of herb teas, decaf coffee with vanilla protein, chicken soup.  Anything warm and a balance of a little sweet but mostly not very sweet.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

southernlady5464
on 11/8/14 9:00 pm

Welcome.

I didn't have to do a pre-op diet either, I was too close to the cutoff. I just know when I was logging my food for a month, I actually gained weight on 1100-1300 calories a day. My metabolism was shot.

You will be fine.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

lerkhart
on 11/11/14 1:33 am

Welcome to the LW Board.

I didn't have to do pure liquid after surgery.  I got to go to mushy so I used a Magic Bullet and made everything as soupy as I wanted it and it worked great.  I had to do the 2 weeks prior to surgery and had to do liquids.  I used Protein Drinks made with milk because mixing it with water was making me sick and I was feeling light headed and no energy.

Good luck!!  I can offer advise that a great thing to do at the beginning and even prior to surgery is to write down or log somehow every bite you put in your mouth just to be sure you stay on track.  It also helps to post on Roz's Menus and Miles each day.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 299 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 424 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 485 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 504 views