Anyone have a preVSG BMI of 33? (or under 35?)

samanthalc
on 3/10/15 8:29 am
with

I'm self pay, and going for it anyway due to family history and many co-morbidities. I'm on track for a train wreck, and not inclined to actually realize the disaster before I do something about it. My surgeon is supportive, and I'm doing it in May.

I'm just wondering if folks here have had a similar (lower BMI) experience, and if so, how well you've done thus far.

I'm more interested in the psychological impact the procedure and lifestyle change have had on you since you chose this "drastic" measure so "early"... Also interested in your loss/progress, but mostly the former.

THANK YOU in advance for any responses.

familyof6
on 3/10/15 9:03 am

No, I had a BMI of 37, but did it for the same reasons....to prevent future co-morbidities and irriversible damage...I am only 3 weeks out but already seesuch great changes ! I feel great, feel positive and hopeful, am much more active, eat slowly,feed my fam healthier ! Best thing I have ever done for myself:)))

samanthalc
on 3/10/15 9:09 am
with

Thanks for your response!  How are you doing with the liquid diet and reality that your stomach now holds such little volume?  How is your family adjusting?

familyof6
on 3/10/15 9:22 am

I did the liquid diet for 2 weeks and now starting soft foods. It's going great. My family is very supportive:) If I struggle during family dinner I excuse myself and take a nice hot shower and take some time to pamper myself while my family cleans up....Food is not a comfort thing anymore, it's fuel and I am okay with that, seeing my body change in wonderful ways:)

familyof6
on 3/10/15 9:25 am

Honestly with the liquid diet I did not feel any restriction, I can drink liquids without any problems.....I now feel the restriction with the soft foods. Sometimes I think I will try some of the food I am prepping for my fam, but then honestly I can't even imagine eating that and so it's not an issue:)

I was watching my boys play baseball and hot dogs were all around and I could barely stomach the smell, thinking about eating that, blechhhh

samanthalc
on 3/10/15 11:27 am
with

Thanks for taking the time to respond, this makes me helpful and hopeful!

luvmypuggies
on 3/10/15 12:38 pm

I had a BMI of 34 when I had my surgery a little over a year ago, and did it to "fix the problem" before it became really bad and led to co-morbidities.  Physically, I probably lost at a slower pace than many on this forum, but it was a steady drop until I hit my goal in about 10 months.  Psychologically, I am thrilled that I took this step and feel so much better about myself - I'm not ashamed anymore, and I can't emphasize enough what a huge deal that is for me.  It's still a bit surreal.  

Make no mistake though - this is not an "easy" way to lose weight.  It is easier than without surgery, but you still have to make the decision every day to eat the right things, and the carb demons don't go away just because you have a tiny tummy.  For me, keeping the carbs pretty low and avoiding/minimizing sugar has been absolutely critical - I get really cranky (like bad PMS) and crave more food if I've indulged in too many carbs.  This is truly a lifelong commitment, and it can be a royal pain sometimes, but it is SO worth it to feel good about yourself and be healthy.

Good luck with your surgery!

Care_Bear_in_GP
on 3/10/15 1:40 pm - Canada
with

Mine was 33.6 on my surgery date.  I'm seven weeks out (I posted this morning on the forum Seven Weeks Out!) I'm doing great.  I self-paid as well and am very happy for the decision I made. It wasn't something that I decided quickly I've been on every type of diet and most of them twice.  I've lost weight but never ever made my goal and I've kept dieting myself up to my starting weight.  It was the right decision for me and it's been going well.  I'm down 29 pounds since I started my pre-op diet.  Best Wishes on your decision!

VSG 01/20/15 Dr. Joya Height: 5'5" Start Pre-Op Diet: 210 SW: 197 CW: 177.5    

suaz
on 3/10/15 9:27 pm
VSG on 10/25/14 with

I was a bMI of 31 but just kept on gaining weight. I'm a slow loser. Surgery was 10/25/2014. I've lost 31 pounds so far but am happy so far. 15 more pounds to go to get to goal weight!

samanthalc
on 3/11/15 9:35 am
with

Suaz- do you mind my asking your starting weight?

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 490 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views