Any self pays who gained weight between their first appointment and the procedure?

samanthalc
on 3/16/15 7:48 am
with

I'm not going to make excuses: I'm panicking and every day is a food holiday.  I've gained a few pounds since the intake appointment.  I'm self pay, so I'm not worried about sabotaging the procedure entirely.  I just am having problems getting into the right mental frame of mind.

Anyone else do this and be just fine (mentally) immediately following the procedure?

cspotrun
on 3/16/15 9:37 am
RNY on 07/01/14
On March 16, 2015 at 2:48 PM Pacific Time, samanthalc wrote:

I'm not going to make excuses: I'm panicking and every day is a food holiday.  I've gained a few pounds since the intake appointment.  I'm self pay, so I'm not worried about sabotaging the procedure entirely.  I just am having problems getting into the right mental frame of mind.

Anyone else do this and be just fine (mentally) immediately following the procedure?

Just wanted to wish you good luck!  Do you have a support group you can join?  Or maybe a therapist to help get your head in the game?  We go through  lot emotionally, so it's great to have support.

Karen   

samanthalc
on 3/16/15 10:31 am
with

Thanks.  This is a good idea, and I should get on it!

Tara40S
on 3/17/15 2:57 am
VSG on 04/09/15

I'm a self pay with a surgery date of 4/9.  Take each day at a time.  How far into pre op are you?

samanthalc
on 3/17/15 8:22 am
with

My date is May 19.

I've done exactly one nutritionists appointment, and have my last two this month.  Then my pre-op bloodwork etc, and final meeting with the surgeon.

Tara40S
on 3/18/15 4:13 am
VSG on 04/09/15
As others have said this is a tool to help you lose weight. But the brain needs help too! Set a date to replace one meal with a high protein drink a day. The earlier you start transitioning yourself the easier it will be after surgery. I think it's hard to go cold turkey- Start slow. Good luck!
Navychic
on 3/17/15 11:00 am
RNY on 02/09/15

This is probably one of those things I shouldn't say, because it is the total wrong thing to do.  But my Surgeon didn't mandate I do a pre-op diet, so I didn't.  In fact almost every pre WLS meal was like a "goodbye" to a type of food.  Things I shouldn't eat after, I definitely did before.  Now I wouldn't dream of putting those things in my mouth and certainly not in the qtys I did those last few weeks.  You invest so much in the surgery, both mentally and financially, that once its done, I sincerely believe you will be able to commit.  I love the journey and wish you great success in it!!!

samanthalc
on 3/17/15 11:43 am
with

Thank you! :)

Price S.
on 3/17/15 12:23 pm - Mills River, NC

Surgery is on our tummies, not our brains.  We get a tool to use but way too many folks screw up after surgery, in a few months or years.  I was very thankful that my Dr group required 6 months of classes whether your insurance required it or not.  Then a 4 week pre-op diet, then a group meeting with everyone with surgery that week for each diet phase change.  They offered weekly support sessions as well as meetings with the psychologist ANY TIME for life.

Take advantage of all the help you can get before and after.  I don't go to support meetings anymore but even after 4+ years since surgery, I am here everyday I am in town.  These ladies are my support group.  If your Dr doesn't offer help, maybe check out OA.  It is lots of places and free.  Several folks on this group have found them helpful.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 490 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views