Question about carbs and maintenance

vicwytch
on 1/10/16 7:58 am
RNY on 12/11/15

Hi there,

I'm nowhere near goal yet, but I was reviewing the nutritional guidelines given to me by my NUT and it looks as if in the stage IV phase (stabilization/regular) that pasta, rice and even wheat bread is allowed. I thought we were trying to cut out these 'bad' carbs from our eating experience so why would they be back in the diet?

Some examples are: 

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, 1 slice wheat toast, 1/2 banana and 1 tsp margarine

Lunch: 2 oz tuna, 6 saltine crackers (!), 1/2 cup canned fruit in own juices, 1/2 cup beets, 1T low-fat mayo

And there are others in there that support the starches that have always been my downfall. Would appreciate any insight into your experiences. (BTW I'm 4 wks out and still on pureed.)

Victorria

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victorria (VicWytch)

SW: 223 CW: 149  GW: 130

RnY Surgery date: December 11, 2015

MajorMom
on 1/10/16 9:17 am - VA

If starches are trigger foods for you, I'd find more complex carb to have sparingly. I think the NUT is going by a textbook and not by what may or may not trigger your good or bad eating habits.

I'm over 8 years out and I will not eat a banana due to all the sugars. Fruit is good for us but look for the ones that are lowest in carbs/sugars--fresh strawberries or blueberries, for example. Eat them carefully. 

Instead of Saltines, a whole grain cracker would be better-- and count those suckers out because the salty crunch may be a trigger for you.

Priorities for eating IMO are: protein first, followed by green veggies, then low carb fruit, and finally whole grains. If you eat the protein first, it should help fill you up and then you shouldn't have much room for veggies and fruit. You'll be taking a great regimen of vitamins and minerals, so try not to worry that you're not getting the nutrients you need.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 1/10/16 11:30 am - Mills River, NC

I don't think I could maintain with that menu.  If you look back on Miles and Menus at what I eat, you get an idea.  And I have been slowly gaining.  I do basically want Gina said.  My fruit is blueberries and blackberries that I grow.  At times I have gotten into haven't grapefruit or an orange.  I do low carb wraps and pitas from time to time but they are mostly oats and flax.  I like having oatmeal for breakfast but I am going to cut in half how much I am eating.  Over the years, I have tried to have some stuff around like no flour peanut butter cookies but I would eat them frozen out of the freezer so stopped making them.  I can't do even the low carb crackers.  I way over consume.  I could care less if I ever at a piece of sandwich bread but good homemade bread or cornbread/biscuits are too much for me.

I think our last phase guidelines offered 1 fruit like 1/2 apple or orange and 1- 1/2 c serving of whole grain (rice, bread, ww pasta) a day.  It also recommended 5 "meals" a day, mostly protein.  My group was in favor of keeping protein drinks if you wanted to.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 1/10/16 2:24 pm, edited 1/10/16 8:26 am - Butler, PA

Congrats on your RNY!!!!!   Early out is the time to kick the carb and sugar monster to the curb!!!!!  Especially since it is your downfall!!!!!  Have you read my message on Menus and Miles?  I'm a firm believer in very low carb.

I don't know of anyone who has been successful eating those things.  That means bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, cereal, fruits etc.   In my eyes bread is bread whether it's white, wheat, low cal etc.  I personally can't eat those things without wanting more.  They also cause my belly to bloat and give me a belly inter-tube.

The only "bad" carb I ate early out was Saltine Crackers and I limited myself to 6 a day.  I used them for Protein Spreads like Lite Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges, Peanut Butter, Pureed Chicken, Beef etc. 

I have Maintained my weight for over 7 years and I still eat 6 Saltines a few times a week.  An extra one is a temptation sometimes so I count them out and put them in ziploc baggies.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

vicwytch
on 1/10/16 2:55 pm
RNY on 12/11/15

Thanks, Roz, Price and MajorMom--appreciate the advice. Carbs are a real downfall for me so I was very confused. I think I might try a few whole-wheat crackers/saltines when I get to that point but I really don't see myself indulging in pasta or rice again, and toast was my 'comfort food' -- I could polish off a half a loaf with no problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victorria (VicWytch)

SW: 223 CW: 149  GW: 130

RnY Surgery date: December 11, 2015

sherryberry333
on 1/10/16 4:32 pm - Casa Grande, AZ
RNY on 12/03/15

Hello all.....I am pretty good at low carbs but what is your limit for fat intake?

Roz !!!!
on 1/10/16 4:43 pm - Butler, PA

I know others keep track of their fats but as long as I'm very low carb and High Protein I don't count anything else.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

sherryberry333
on 1/10/16 7:23 pm - Casa Grande, AZ
RNY on 12/03/15

OK.....Thank you!   :)

Price S.
on 1/11/16 4:39 am - Mills River, NC

I have never tracked my fats.  I do try to eat healthy fats for the most part, nuts, avocado, olive and coconut oil.  I should have been a DS instead of a RNY because I love fats.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jenna77
on 1/11/16 9:45 am
VSG on 02/25/15

I have to agree with everyone on the carbs. They are also my downfall and I have noticed that when I add them back in I stop losing and actually go up a little on the scale granted after two days of low carb I lose it. But still. I would stick to protein first. If you do add carbs you will have to play with it to see how your body responds. I know I can do anything under 30 carbs a day and be ok. Sometimes I can do 50 but I don't like to. 

Congrats on your surgery! 

5'1 Consult: 227 HW: 232 SW:212 CW:131 GW: 120 Pant size start: 18/20 Current: size 6/8

M1: 195 (-17) M2: 184.6 (-10.4) M3: 176.6 (-8) M4: 168.2 (-8.4) M5: 160 (-8.2) M6: 155.4 (-4.6) M7: 145.6 (-9.8) M8: 141 (-4.6) M9: 137 (-4) M10: 135.8 (-1.2) M11: 135 (-.8) M12: 131 (-4) M13: (-0) M14: (-0) M15: (-0) 

Have stopped losing pounds but am losing inches! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 312 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 436 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 499 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 521 views