Questions for those who lost 100 lbs

kaymommy
on 1/21/16 5:12 am - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

Hello everyone 

I finally got my surgery date and it was much closer then I expected but I'm definitely not complaining lol. I'm having surgery February 12th at Humber River Hospital in Toronto. Of course I am super excited and totally have my mind made up about surgery but that skin tight show is starting to freak me out a bit lol. I know I will have some lose skin and don't expect a perfect body. I'm not doing the surgery for cosmetic purposes but I do want to feel good about myself after. My question is for those who had 100 lbs to lose how much excess skin do you have? I do not plan on having any surgeries after this one since I do not have the funds for a tummy tuck or anything. I just would hate to go through all of this and end up healthy but hating my body after. 

Thanks for any input you may have

Amanda

Referral 12/22/14 Orientation 2/27/15 Nutritionist & SW 9/25/15  Dr. Glazer 12/1/15 Nurse 12/14/1545  Opti 1/29/16  Surgery 2/12/16

HW:244.8 Ref:234.6

Roz !!!!
on 1/21/16 9:09 am - Butler, PA

I think it has a lot to do with your age, height, and your body type when you have surgery.

I was in my 50's when I had my RNY so my body was not tight at all to start with.  I'm only 4'11" and I was pretty chubby.  Since my skin was so stretched with extra weight I have a lot of loose skin on my legs, a roll around my belly and my boobs look like stretched socks. 

I've been married for 42 years and DH doesn't seem to mind but it really bothers me but not as bad as it did when I was fat.  There are push up bras/nightgowns etc. to help with sag....lol.

BUT when I'm all dressed up I look pretty darn good for being 62.

No matter how much loose skin I get over the years it's much better than being unhealthy.  I can keep up with our 3 DD's that are in their 30's and 9 grandkids.

MY LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER AFTER WLS!!!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 1/21/16 9:42 am - Mills River, NC

I was 62 when I had surgery and lost a little over 100 lbs.  I haven't had any other surgeries.  I have loose skin on my upper arms, tummy and thighs.  My boobs look like a rock in a sock. Like Roz, I look damn good in clothes. We had our 43yr anniversary this year and DH loves me one way or the other. I wear workout clothes with sleeves to cover my upper arms but am ok in a swimsuit. 

In my 40's I lost 80lbs on WW.  I had no loose skin.  So age does have a lot to do with it plus where you carry your weight.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

kaymommy
on 1/21/16 12:38 pm - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

Thank you so much for the responses ladies. I'm 34, 5"4, and weigh 225 lbs. If I lose 100 lbs that will put me smack dab in the middle range of a healthy weight and BMI. I have been heavy since 18 years old and have a lovely pouch of fat in my lower abdomen and I do have larger arms. I also have a daughter via cesarean so I don't know how that will affect things. In the end I know I will be healthier and around longer for my daughter so whatever sacrifices I make will be well worth it. It's good to hear that right clothes will cover up my problem areas and no one will notice. Thanks again for the honest responses.

Amanda

Referral 12/22/14 Orientation 2/27/15 Nutritionist & SW 9/25/15  Dr. Glazer 12/1/15 Nurse 12/14/1545  Opti 1/29/16  Surgery 2/12/16

Bonroxie19
on 1/21/16 11:15 pm

Hi there 

49 years old.  110 lost so far.   I have some loss skin on my arms and thighs.  The stomach area I would say is now like a skirt of skin. No more fat cells just skin.  Somewhere down the line will have a tummy tuck. I was working with a trainer about a year before surgery and have continued to work with him.  I am also a runner.  So I think both those activities were a huge help with the skin.  In my photos are some close up where you can see the skin at least on the arms.  

Rny.  The best thing I ever did for myself.  

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

lerkhart
on 1/22/16 3:21 pm

Hi Amanda,

Congratulations on getting your surgery date.

I was 55 when I had surgery and had been heavy most of my life.  I think age has a lot to do with it.  I had lost around 80 pounds when I was younger and had no skin issues.

This time I have loose skin but it is much better than being heavy and you can't see the skin through my clothes.  I do not wear sleeveless things but could if I felt comfortable in them - I didn't wear them when I was heavier and my arms were not sagging.

My legs are the worse but I wear capri or long pants and if I exercise I wear tighter capri or long exercise pants.  I wear at the knee shorts and you can't tell.

I have no plans to do any type of skin surgery at my age.  My DH loves me the way I am also so I am lucky!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Roz !!!!
on 1/24/16 5:49 am - Butler, PA

I hope you stick around after you are further out and update us on your skin!!!!!    I'm guessing at 34 and your height your body should bounce back pretty good.  We have some Cheer Moms about your age and size who had surgery about 8 years ago and they look fantastic!!!!  No wrinkles or extra skin!!!!!

You are a VERY SMART lady getting it done now!!!!! 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

kaymommy
on 1/24/16 9:42 am - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

Thank you so much.  I will definitely be sticking around. These boards help hold me accountable to myself. I find a lot of support here and in sure I will have plenty more questions needing answers as I go along this journey.  Thanks for your kind words.

L. 68
on 1/25/16 12:09 pm

fffffdfgggfggggggjjjjjjhhhhi Kaymommy,

Have you checked your insurance to see if they cover tummy tuck and boob lift.  i lost 80 lbs but i didn't have loose skin because i actually had gotten liposuction before my surgery.  but anyway i have a friend and a cousin who both had the RNY (10 years +)and both of their insurances approved their tummy tuck and boobs.   I know they had to complain about the skin hanging and bothering them irritated them rashes ect.  after being prescribed all kinds of creams and powders (of course this had to be supervised visits like paper trail) the PC submitted the forms and they were approved.  

Best of luck..

L. 68
on 1/25/16 12:10 pm

hi Kaymommy,

Have you checked your insurance to see if they cover tummy tuck and boob lift.  i lost 80 lbs but i didn't have loose skin because i actually had gotten liposuction before my surgery.  but anyway i have a friend and a cousin who both had the RNY (10 years +)and both of their insurances approved their tummy tuck and boobs.   I know they had to complain about the skin hanging and bothering them irritated them rashes ect.  after being prescribed all kinds of creams and powders (of course this had to be supervised visits like paper trail) the PC submitted the forms and they were approved.  

Best of luck..

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 300 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 426 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 506 views