AryaofWinterfell
on 6/20/16 3:40 pm

Hi all, 

Just wanted to introduce myself.  I have just been approved for WLS and am in the pre-op testing stage for VGS and should be having my surgery sometime within the next couple of months. I have a BMI between 36-37 and am 42 years old.  I am currently 216 lbs and this is my heaviest weight after having two kids.  As most, I have dieted on and off since I was a kid and have been in dieting and eating programs.  

I was told by my surgeon I need to lose 21 pounds before my surgery.  While I understand the premise for this (changing lifestyle and shrinking the liver) if I could easily lose that in a couple months, I would have done that by now.  And also knowing I will be under 200 pounds after that, feeling weird about having surgery at a smaller weight since I am not classified in a high BMI.  I struggle with the shame of not losing the weight on my own and needing surgical intervention to do it.  I also do not have the support of my husband but do of my family.

My biggest issue is carbs and sugar so if anyone has any tips on how to come off that a bit easier than cold turkey, I would love to hear it.  My doctor is suggesting alternating a two week high protein/low carb diet and the two week protein liquid diet until the surgery

Thanks for listening.

MajorMom
on 6/21/16 2:10 am - VA

Welcome aboard!  

I totally agree with you, "if I could easily lose that in a couple of months, I would have done that by now".  Your metabolism has likely slowed to a snail's pace, so I wouldn't worry too much about losing in this time before your surgery. If a surgeon can't operated around a lightweight's liver, he has no business doing weight loss surgery. That's a quote from my surgeon.  Just give it some effort and maybe back that up with some walking and light weightlifting.

As far as your carb and sugar addiction, I get it. It's a real addiction and everyone has to find their way of dealing with it. Some go on an Atkins-like diet, some limit themselves to 1 piece of hard candy a day, and some have other strategies.  

Good luck and keep us posted. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 6/21/16 11:59 am - Mills River, NC

Welcome!!!

We had to do 1500 calorie diet while in the process of getting ready for surgery, the 4 weeks of a liquid protein + 1 small food meal a day.  I think we were suppose to lose 8% of our excess and no one had a problem with that. 

21 will put you under the BMI required for surgery, maybe.  They usually use the first weight when you come in the door for approval but I would check on that to be sure. 

Are you going to a Center of Excellence?  May want to check on out.  They seem to have a better program than some who just do WLS on the side. 

In terms of the carb, I really think the least painful way is to just do it.  Yeah, it is horrible for a while but up your protein and it will be over soon.  Otherwise, the cravings, at least for me, seem to last forever.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

mljohns
on 6/21/16 2:03 pm
DS on 01/27/15

Hi Newbie,

I had the same question when I was new. I started out just a bit heavier, 235 (but only 5 feet tall). My doctor wanted me to lose 25 pounds in 2 months. I was an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic so the insulin made weight loss nearly impossible. Or so I thought. However, following the same two week alternating diet high protein/low carb and then liquids....I managed to lose 30 lbs in time for surgery. It made the pre-op two week liquid diet go by easy since I had done it several times before and certainly helped the post op restrictions.

Can't wait to see you on the loser's bench.

Roz !!!!
on 6/24/16 10:30 am - Butler, PA

Congrats on your Approval!!  Having WLS is NOT the easy way out so push that shame out of your mind.  It might be easier to loose the weight but once you are on Maintenance it takes hard work and determination to keep it off. 

My hubby and my oldest daughter weren't the least bit happy about my decision to having WLS.  My other 2 daughters were excited for me.  DH and DD#1 were scared something was going to happen to me but I told them it was my decision and if something went wrong it was my fault not theirs. 

When I read about your biggest issue being carbs and sugar I'm wondering if you ever considered the RNY.  That's it's specialty. 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

AryaofWinterfell
on 6/30/16 11:35 am

Thanks everyone for the info and encouragement.  I guess I should have clarified my insurance covers the surgery but I am still in the process of being approved. I have had my endoscopy and psych evaluation. Just waiting for the rest of my tests next week and to hear back from insurance to set my surgery date.

i'm going to a center of excellence (Center for Weight Loss - Dr. Srikanth).

i don't feel Rny is right for me as I'm not interested in having my bowels altered and be on supplements for life.  My husband is having a hard enough time excepting the sleeve as I am at a low BMI.  He feels if I could lose the initial 21 lbs for surgery, he doesn't understand why I can't just keep going  and lose more without surgery.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 298 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 423 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 483 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 503 views