Dangerous to have RYN if you are a lightweight?

HippieDreads
on 2/2/17 7:01 am

I had VSG in 2013, Now I wasn't really guided in the right direction and finally about three months ago started eating right... That only lasted about a month. I lost 20 lbs and was doing good. THat weight is still off. BUT My problem is I have severe acid reflux. I've posted this is vsg and in revision forums. I want to know if it's dangerous to have RYN when you have little weight to lose. I may need this to stop the acid reflux because it has gotten so extreme that I am now on double doses of prilosec and tums and still suffering. IF i don't do both I can't even lay down it's so bad.  After days of vomiting I usually start vomiting blood. I had all kinds of tests done at the hospital and there are no tears and no cancer.  I'm going to my pcp friday for a referral for GI doc and I made a call to my surgeon but I"m scared because I weigh 202 and a good weight for me is around 135-140 so is it dangerous to have this surgery? Am I going to lose too much weight? I'm really scared.

Ginnny
on 2/2/17 7:40 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

You won't lose too much weight, but you do have to follow a proper diet or any weight you do lose will just come right on back.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

HonestOmnivore
on 2/2/17 9:11 am
RNY on 03/29/17

I'm new, and haven't had my surgery yet so this isn't from experience... but if you didn't get the guidance to help you succeed after the VSG, and you do decide to have the RNY surgery, I'd strongly advise you to select a bariatric center that has a full fledged weight-loss program built into their surgery program. I have moderate reflux and my surgeon is confident the RNY we eliminate it. 

I'm a nut when it comes to researching physicians and programs, I think finding the right match is the key to success. You have to find a surgeon and team you can respect so you will really adhere to there advice.

Just my thoughts!  Good luck!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Roz !!!!
on 2/2/17 9:12 am - Butler, PA

I've known quite a few people who have had the RNY that are LW's over the 8+ years since I've had mine without any major problems.  I've had acid reflux my whole life and I still have a bad spell occasionally.  Mine has and is triggered by drinking water.  I have to limit my water before bed or I'm up all night taking antacid meds.  Sounds crazy but it is true.  I also take 2 Prilosec a day.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lykapal
on 2/2/17 9:29 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm almost the exact definition of a lightweight. I had a bmi of 37 at my highest weight. On the day of surgery my BMI was down to 34.7 and my total excess weight was about 65-70 lbs. I'm almost at the weight I'd like to maintain right now, but I do expect to lose about 10 or so pounds before I bounce back to my maintenance weight.

I've heard plenty of stories from revision patients talking about how much harder it is to lose weight when going from VSG to RNY. I'm not sure why that happens, but I bet someone who had a revision could explain it. 

I think the most important thing is that you get healthy, and if you follow your plans guidance you won't have to worry about losing too much.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Jenna77
on 2/2/17 3:30 pm
VSG on 02/25/15

A woman on IG had vsg a year or so ago and had severe acid reflux. She just had a revision done about a week ago. She was at her goal weight if I'm not mistaken and still had the revision done because her reflux was so bad she couldn't eat. 

5'1 Consult: 227 HW: 232 SW:212 CW:131 GW: 120 Pant size start: 18/20 Current: size 6/8

M1: 195 (-17) M2: 184.6 (-10.4) M3: 176.6 (-8) M4: 168.2 (-8.4) M5: 160 (-8.2) M6: 155.4 (-4.6) M7: 145.6 (-9.8) M8: 141 (-4.6) M9: 137 (-4) M10: 135.8 (-1.2) M11: 135 (-.8) M12: 131 (-4) M13: (-0) M14: (-0) M15: (-0) 

Have stopped losing pounds but am losing inches! 

ebonymc
on 2/7/17 7:50 pm

We're in the same situation. I was un-banded mostly due to acid reflux. I'm a light weight as well and want the sleeve rather than RNY b/c of my weight. I'm afraid that if I'm sleeved, I will get that terrible acid reflux again. But I also have diabetes and I've heard that RNY is a better choice, but I'm afraid of losing too much and becoming vitamin deficient. I'm on iron and vitamin D already. Good Luck to you and keep us informed.

STLfan
on 2/8/17 10:07 am
Hey Hippy,
I had the DS whi*****ludes the VSG so the revision is just the next step. I have had great success and chose the DS after talking to ALL the groups in the area. DS people just had better stories and seemed very happy. They did open me up stem to stern and got a good look inside so Dr, Anthone gave me a custom job that seems to make others shake their heads. but being 7 yrs out almost, I feel confident in my decisions and care. Once my weight was off at goal I found I have a 20 pound range that when at the high end I just try to get back to basics. I would go to the different group sessions and hear what they say. Although I respect those here I find that face to face contact gets you the real story and that you get an honest reflection and not a in your face lecture or tirade.
Jeff                    
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 299 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 424 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 485 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 504 views