Considering DS

vixen01
on 5/16/17 12:42 pm
Hello, I'm a LW at 176 and considering DS in a few weeks. I'm 40 pounds heavier and have spoken to the surgeon who feels the DS will help me but I'm getting some conflicting reviews. I literally just want help. So if anyone has been in a similar or bear similar experience can you please share your story.
MajorMom
on 5/16/17 5:39 pm - VA

You can see by my signature and stats below that I had less than 100 pounds to lose. My eating habits clearly showed I was a terrible grazer and needed a lot of help. My surgeon recommended the DS for grazers and people who could easily "out-eat" most other surgeries. I have been very successful with the DS and will celebrate my 10-year surgiversary this summer. Ask anything you'd like, I'll answer.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

vixen01
on 5/16/17 7:56 pm
Thanks for answering. Since I have the sleeve already and want to lose forty pounds I'm worried I'm over doing it by heading for the DS. I want the surgery but reading the requirements of vitamins and diet sound harder than anything. I'm horrible taking even a single multi vitamin. And although I have a sleeve I don't typically have issues with food. I feel like and maybe I'll outrun my luck. So much to consider.
  SW: 245  GW: 150  CW: 142 

th_LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg        
MajorMom
on 5/17/17 2:12 am - VA

Sounds like you know yourself, which is great since many people are convinced they can change ingrained behavior long term. Anyway, with the DS, vitamins and protein is nonnegotiable. If you don't take your vitamins you die in a miserable way. Malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies are a given if you can't take the vitamin and protein requirements of the DS. Be smart about this decision.

--gina

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

vixen01
on 5/17/17 11:57 am
Yeah, it's a huge commitment and I don't know if I can live by that and have therefore rescheduled for a further date in September. It required much thought and consideration. I have never been ill and always said I didn't want to live tied to drugs and meds etc. So the idea that my complete existence could come to an end because of my own failure is terrifying. As well, I keep fantasizing that I would starve since I already have the sleeve and would basically be doing a post op diet and feeling hungry. When I was sleeved I read posts from others who were but were starving so they felt and felt so bad for them. I still fill up easily but I also graze. So I am going to try and do less of that and see what happens in the next few months. I'd love to be down 40 pounds but if all I get is 20 I am golden.

Thanks so much!

vixen01
on 5/17/17 3:01 pm
One more question, you had the full DS at once. Do you know anyone who went for round two and their success with hunger?

MajorMom
on 5/18/17 2:05 am - VA

I don't specifically, but there are folks who would chime in on the DS board. Keep in mind you still get the benefits of having the small sleeve-like stomach where all those nasty hormones are removed. If your sleeve has stretched out, they may consider tightening it up as part of a revision.

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Roz !!!!
on 5/17/17 9:43 am, edited 5/17/17 2:44 am - Butler, PA

Welcome to our LW page!!!!

Major Mom is the BEST person you could have asked about the DS. She is our resident expert on that type of Surgery. I chose the RNY and early out I regretted not getting the DS instead but since have changed my thoughts on that because my RNY has been great to me. I also dislike taking my vitamins which are required for the RNY BUT Mandatory with the DS.

Major Mom and I have both been successful with our different WLS but to be Successful and Healthy you MUST follow the rules of the surgery.

Keep us updated!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

vixen01
on 5/17/17 11:58 am
Thank you wonderful ladies.

Roz !!!!
on 5/17/17 12:20 pm - Butler, PA

I definitely don't starve myself! I pretty much eat all day. I don't do large meals at one time. It takes me awhile to clean my plate. I concentrate on Protein and try my best to stay away of carbs and sweets.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...