Bariatric Buddy

Groups » Bariatric Buddy » Discussion » Bariatric consult n...

Bariatric consult need advice

karen_locey
on 7/27/14 1:21 am

I'm considering weight loss surgery. I'm just starting the process with my first appt. I am trying to decide between gastric sleeve and gastric bypass. Can anyone help with advice or their experiences? I'd appreciate it!

Christine S.
on 8/2/14 5:10 am

Hi Karen

I have actually been going through the process for the sleeve and was just changed to bypass. I had my heart and mind set on the sleeve but that changed after I had a manometry test.  I would highly recommend having a this test (which tests your swallowing ability). My surgeon ordered and that was the deciding factor.  Apparently I cannot swallow effectively enough to avoid reflux if I were to have the sleeve because the sleeve creates a higher pressure environment than normal and swallowing is a big factor.  So I have to switch to bypass. Everyone I have asked on here seems to agree they are one in the same when it comes to the end result. I was surprised to learn that in bypass the stomach is NOT removed but in the sleeve it is.  Bottom line is go with whichever is best for you healthwise and which long term will have less issues.

Just my two cents. Good luck with either one.

miraclemom03
on 8/19/14 4:15 am

That's really great info. I am in the beginning process as well. I just had my 1st consultation made today. I am also stuck between the sleeve and RNY. I was told my insurance may not cover the sleeve so we have to wait and see when it comes down to the approval. But I have been leaning more towards the RNY.

Patrece S.
Group Leader

Kathy B.
Co- Leader