6 days post op update-is this normal??

annkate77
on 6/9/09 11:30 pm
Hi everyone!
I feel like everytime I talk to my RN about how I am feeling, they tell me I am doing great, but I just don't feel like I am.  So I thought I would get your opinion!
I am still having a great deal of pain/uncomfortableness. Alot under my ribcage, both on the R and L sides, I had RNY and a liver biopsy. I feel much better when I take my pain meds consistently, but it sounds like they think I don't need them anymore.  I am able to walk, eat, drink, and live much better if I take them.
Eating is horrible for me.  I can't eat pureed foods.  I can eat stuff that is naturally soft, like cottage cheese and yogurt.  And I just tried milk yesterday and that is going done great. But I actually regret having to eat.  I don't want to.  I would rather keep drinking my fluids.  
My days are up and down.  Either I start out good, or I start out bad, and then it gets better or worse through out the day. Yesterday was the first day I attempted to leave the house by myself and went to target, which went okay, but I was exhausted by the time I got home. 
Thanks for any help or encouragement you can give.  Let me know if you guys are feeling the same way, or if I am in my own boat and need to be more insistent with these MDs. Thanks!
Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

lisherman
on 6/10/09 5:23 am - sioux city, IA
I feel like that sometimes too. i stopped aking my meds and I am trying to deal with the pain. It seems if i just go take a wlk i seem to wlk it off. Lucky you, you get food i am still on liquids for another week, i am so hungary, that is my prob now, this liquid diet is getting very old.

If i were you i would ujst wait a couple more days to eat, you may still be swollen from the surgery, i am noticing my swellng going down and i am feeling much better, or try to tkae jsut tylenol and see if that helps.
Melissa True
on 6/10/09 6:29 am - Augusta, ME
you just had your surgery! you will feel this way for awhile. I was told that after my surgery, I am on liquids for 2 weekks...then switch to pureed/soft food for 6 weeks. So I cna't even consider eating "regualr" food for 8 weeks after surgery...so just be patient and time heals all things. It takes about 4 weeks for you to full heal from surgery as it is and your only 6 days out. Good luck to you with the rest of your healing
Baby girl Morgan born 5/28/10, 2 weeks before my 1 year surgiversary. Angel concieved 09/10, lost 10/13/10, was due in June 2011. Baby #2 (our rainbow) on their way, due 7/27/11- Miley Victoria or Maddox Michael
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

annkate77
on 6/10/09 10:41 am
well that helps!  The RN was telling me that they don't usually have people needing more pain meds or feeling this poorly. I am pushing fluids like crazy, and hardly peeing!  So I know body is holding on to the fluids!
I am not thrilled with the food.  But yeah, they start with 2 weeks of pureed foods, which is pretty horrible.  I would prefer a liquid diet. I don't want to eat anything!  Thanks for your input, and anyone else that has any.
Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/09 7:21 am
I just joined and had surgery on Monday. It felt so great to read these replies. I'm not having a bad time with pain, but am missing my former self badly. Thanks for the support!
ericaNH
on 6/13/09 1:06 am - Tamworth, NH
I am only 3 days post op but I feel similar.  I cannot even IMAGINE eating pureed foods right now.  I am sticking to liquid for at least the next week maybe 2.  Pain is still pretty bad for me. Hopefully I have enough pain meds.
~Erica
Dr. Renee Wolff

Start weight: 309.6
Day of surgery weight 267 (June 10, 2009)
Current weight: 194.6

annkate77
on 6/13/09 11:31 am
Well, I gotta say, I am feeling much better now than I was earlier.  I have gone against medical advice, I can not eat pureed food.  So I am making soft food, and chewing it really really really well.  And so far, it is going great.  I am not up to my 60 grams of proteing everyday, but I am getting closer!  Walking is going good, and fluids are going great.  So, things are getting better.  I was worried about the incisions, but they are getting better too.  The only bad thing that is still going on is my UTI.  I am hardly peeing, and I am so prone to UTIs, I had one when they did the preop testing a few weeks before surgery.  I had one after they removed the foley catheter after only being in for 8 hours. And I have one now.  And I can't seem to get in the fluids to flush out this crap.  I am supposed to drink 60 ounces of water a day, and I am getting in at least 100 ounces.  But by monday, the results of the culture and sensitivity should be back, so I can get on the right antibiotics.  So things are looking up.  I can't wait to start to feel normal again.  I am so excited. 
Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

Most Active