Sick...do I need to worry?!

Special_KLJ2
on 3/30/11 11:28 pm - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14
 I went to a dr. on Tuesday for extreme tiredness for about 5 days and a sudden sharp, burning pain in the right back/kidney area.  Dr ran blood tests and said it looked as if I had a virus and possibly but doubtful a bacterial infection of some sort.  Tummy is not tender.  I told him I went from a BM a day to every 2-3 days, no appetite and little desire for liquids although I do keep trying to eat & drink.  For the last two days I have been vomiting if I eat (last night was worse).  Hell, I sucked a hard candy and then vomited up red mucous from it.  I have noticed when I vomit that there is a LOT of mucous, is that normal?  I am on a PPI and it does not feel like acid or upset tummy, etc.  Dr. did x-rays and said if I had not given him my DS picture/papers he would have thought I was "normal" on the inside and that I was not backed up and he didn't see a blockage (I told him I could be blocked in the alimentary limb and would need a CT with contrast for that but he thought  all was good, especially since there was no tummy tendernous).  I don't want to be neurotic but I feel like crap (again).  Any thoughts or just a virus?
Karen L. Johnson    
Jeremy M.
on 3/31/11 12:02 am - Fishers, IN
At this point, I'd call your surgeon and get their take on it.  I would tend to think something's not right (obstrurction, stricture, internal hernia).  From what I've seen from the vets, I'd say the X-ray with contrast is your next step, but I wouldn't want my PCP managing this.  You're less than a year out, so your surgeon should still be willing to be actively involved in managing these types of issues.
Jeremy

HW 327 / SW 300 / CW 198 / GW 169

Elizabeth N.
on 3/31/11 12:09 am - Burlington County, NJ
This is a call your surgeon moment. Yeah, it could be just a virus, especially given the godawful GI bugs that have been sweeping the nation *bleh*. But better safe than sorry.

larra
on 3/31/11 1:06 am - bay area, CA
You have an excellent surgeon. Give him a call, see if he can communicate directly with your doc at home.
     And btw, it's the bp limb (biliopancreatic) that could be blocked, or partially blocked, and not show up on an upper GI, not the alimentary limb).

Larra
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 436 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 884 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 298 views