Gas Pressure and excess fluids

soamazin2004
on 4/1/11 1:17 am - NC
Hey all,
Got switched on Monday of this week. Surgery was very successful! Done laproscopically, 8 incision sites due to lotsa scar tissue from previous surgery.  I want to know just as a consensus when does the  gas pressure subside and what can I do to minimize it? I walk...A LOT, I take gas-x, every two hours. I do pass gas but still it builds up while sleeping usually and causes pain on getting up. I also wear a cpap and wonder if the forced air may have something to do with it? Suggestions pretty please!
Also when does the excess fluid come off? I gain like 16 or 18 lbs in the hospital..Arghhhhhhhhhh

Hope to love my DS!
beemerbeeper
on 4/1/11 1:38 am - AL
Sounds like you are doing everything right.  Sip sip sip and walk walk walk.  The gas is probably not so much IN your stomach as in your body from where they pump it in during surgery so the gas-x is probably not going to help much.

It gets better every day if you get your fluids in.

Stay OFF the scale!!!

Welcome to the bench!

~Becky

soamazin2004
on 4/1/11 1:55 am - NC
So I got 20 oz's of fluids in yesterday and 7.5 grams of protein I know that is far from 64 anjd 100 but there are only so many hrs in the day......I will do better each day. Also when rougly will i poop?
beemerbeeper
on 4/1/11 3:20 am - AL
Oh dear.  Who told you to try for 100 grams of protein so soon?  WRONG.  Here's the protein progression we recommend:

30 by 30 days
60 by 60 days
90 by 90 days
Then 100 or more for life

As for fluids you MUST get more.  Must must must.  You can count popsicles and broth and other fluids.  Try different temperatures.  I liked VERY cold.  Other people could only do warm like peppermint tea.

Your job today is to sip and walk.  It gets easier!!

~Becky

soamazin2004
on 4/1/11 7:39 am - NC
Thank you Becky. I am doing better today. I have already had about 18 oz of fluids and it's only 5ish and 14 grams of protein. My tally's last night were for all the way to midnight when i went back to bed.
beemerbeeper
on 4/1/11 7:48 am - AL
Only 18 oz of fluids by 5pm?  Seriously not enough.  You are getting behinder and behinder and won't be able to catch up.

I hope you are getting some fluids that you are forgetting to count.

Keep trying!!!  Some of us set a timer for 3 minutes to keep us sipping.  Would that help?

~Becky

soamazin2004
on 4/1/11 10:09 am - NC
I am at 30 now at 8 pm. I am trying to drink out of the tiny medicine cups so i can keep track of the amount. I guess I could use a measuring cup instead.I probably won't go to bed until one or two and i will constantly sip until bed and report ounces in the morning. accountability is key. I have also gotten in 20 grams of protein shakes made with milk. Milk does not count though right?
beemerbeeper
on 4/1/11 10:44 am - AL
Oh I think I was told at some point that I could count 1/2 of the fluids in a shake.  I don't know.  Whatever you can drink at this point I would say.  You have only 1/2 of what you need by 8 pm and that isn't great. 

Keep trying!!  Keep sipping!!  We are all rooting for you!!!

~Becky

soamazin2004
on 4/1/11 1:49 pm - NC
Ok I was able to get a total of 50 ozs in and I cannot drink another thing tonight I will start earlier tomorrow, I promise.  I know how important it is, so I will try harder tomorrow.
beemerbeeper
on 4/1/11 2:24 pm - AL
Good job!  Better than yesterday!  It gets easier!

Let me know how you do tomorrow.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 974 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1167 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 431 views