Familiar w/ Leaky Gut Syndrome anyone have it?

BetsyDP
on 4/3/11 12:56 am - East Lansing, MI

After developing severe chronic fatigue since my surgiversary and psoriasis and plummeting coritisol levels, I set an appointment with an ENDO but it took 4 months and bunch of red tape to get in.  In the interim I have been researching like crazy all my symptoms and everything keeps leading me back to possible leaky gut syndrome or food allergies.  Anyone have this or similar symptoms and what was the treatment plan?

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/11 1:12 am, edited 4/3/11 1:13 am
Laugh Out Loud
on 4/3/11 3:52 am
I was diagnosed with leaky gut years prior to my DS surgery.  My PCP practiced integrative medicine, so my treatment was a combination of prescription antibiotics and micronutrient supplements and digestive enzymes.  I also took phyto-nutrients for the inflammation and applied an anti-fungal cream for my also present skin issues.  I was put on a gluten free diet as well.  It took about a month for me to feel better.  Post op I still struggle with inflammation, but not as much because my eating is cleaner (gluten and dairy free), I take many of the same supplements (probiotics, zinc, EPA/DHA, fiber, etc.), and I do a round of antibiotics annually. 
Good luck to you.  I hope you find answers and get relief from your issues as well.
Cindy
Blank Out
on 4/3/11 4:01 am
 Try getting rid of gluten as an experiment and see if your symptoms go away!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/11 5:28 am
Hi All,

Leaky gut is getting much attention and is still controversial in some (conservative or main stream) circles. My personal opinion is that it is a real consequence arising from potentially several factors. It is the result of chronic and severe inflammation of the gut wall.  The previously posted advice is all good. It is certain that CFS, IBS and Leaky Gut are linked at lest anecdotaly. Here is a link to what Dr Andrew Weil has to say:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA361058/what-is-leaky-gut.html

In my research and experience I have found that the key factors in controlling the symptoms are diet and probiotic. The dietary component is aimed at controlling the intake of pro-inflammatory foods E.G. gluten and possibly lactose as well as artificial sweeteners.

Dr Weil suggests Culturelle. This is a good product containing 100% Lactobacillis GG. These are among the "good guys" that populate the gut. To that I would add a good dose of Sacchromyces boulardii. This non colonizing non spoor forming yeast has been shown to have very effective benefit. It neutralizes some of the toxins secreted by the pathogens in the gut. It has been shown to have a beneficial effect against Clostridium difficile, C. albacans and even Giardia. It also inhibits the pathogens ability to colonize the gut wall. S. boulardii is available in a few products as well as a stand alone. In a multi species product it is most available in Primal Defense Ultra. As a stand alone it is available from several companies. Jarro may be the most easily found brand. Your health food store or doctor might be able to order it for you if they don't have it on the shelf.

Here is a link to a descriptive statement on the action of boulardii from a manufacturer:

http://www.protherainc.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=V776-06

So, this is a two pronged approach. Stop the addition of inflammatory foods to the contents of the gut and add in anti inflammatory elements to help soothe the gut and encourage it to heal.

There is yet another consideration. Recent research is looking at a phenomenon termed "bio film". Simply put this is a defense mechanism on the part of the pathogens. Here is a descriptive but technical read on this topic:

http://www.protherainc.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=K-INTP

Hope this helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 842 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1096 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 368 views