Traveling for surgery logistics? and x-post intro

alaja957
on 7/26/11 3:23 am
Ok so I posted an intro in the "revisions" surgical community but I am coming here for more specific DS information.  I would have to travel from Rochester NY to NYC to see the surgeon I want to (Dr. Roslin).  Has anyone here traveled to specifically NYC or at all? Its about a 6 hour drive just to get into the vicinity of the city then there is the nightmare of getting anywhere in the city.  (Maybe I am just overly paranoid about traveling to the city) 

My intro post from the other community:

Hello everyone.  I had RNY in Rochester, NY March 2008. 
Highest weight: 357
Day of surgery: 317
Lowest post op: 257 Aug 2009
Current: 309

I am so confused and I am trying to do my research.  Dr. O'Malley did my RNY and when I went back to discuss my regain they basically said "sucks to be you, our surgery's don't fail, it must be you."

I started researching revision and my doctor did a referral to Dr. DiBenedetto also in Rochester who is doing BOB (band over bypass) revisions and told me he has had about a dozen patients from Dr. O'Malley who have had a stretched out lower stoma and that BOB has worked for them all because it returns the restriction that the RNY should have retained.  He told me the RNY to DS is "experimental, dangerous, and complicated" I currently have an upper GI and and upper endoscopy scheduled with them to find out what might be going on.

I have also called Dr. Roslin in NYC and I have the number to attend a seminar but I live in Rochester and traveling to the city is going to be costly for me and not that easy but I fear that the DS is really the gold standard of revision.

So please board members give me your input.  I want to know the good and the bad. 
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/26/11 3:44 am
 Traveling is NOTHING to get a good surgeon. I was on planes for 30 hours each way (yes, really) and that was for a virgin DS. 

With revisions, there are fewer qualified surgeons, and many go to CA from all over the country. 6 hours is great.

We don't need to be in spitting distance of the surgeon, since usually any major issues present immediately after surgery, when you are still close. Our post op labs in the following years are drawn near home, and just faxed to the surgeons for review. Many of us have other doctors doing our follow up care (cuz in reality, surgeons are good cutters, but often lousy at the nutritional stuff).

Tammy_in_PA
on 7/26/11 3:55 am - New Castle, PA
Totally agree with Bearmom. I flew from PA to Brazil, alone, to have my virgin DS. Not everyone travels that far obviously but you're not even leaving your state. That's like in your backyard compared to some of us.
 Best Wishes,
Tammy                              

Entered Onederland 01-03-2010
Century Club  01-29-2010
Goal    06-29-2010
teachmid
on 7/26/11 4:09 am - OKC, OK
I totally agree with the other posters. I traveled from Oklahoma to California for my revision. Before you start feeling bad,, remember, the surgery failed you, not the other way around.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

sandy_mt
on 7/26/11 4:55 am
 I traveled and stayed in NYC for my Revision a little over 2 weeks ago.  My husband came with me and we stayed in Long Island City at Country Inn and Suites.  It's a newer hotel and only 2 blocks from the subway.  The rate was VERY reasonable in comparison to Manhattan hotels.  You have take the subway 1 stop and then switch to another train to get to Midtown, but it's no big deal.  There is a subway stop at the hospital.  I'm very unfamiliar with traveling the Metro but my husband and I figured it out.  You can do all of your research before traveling the subway and find out which trains to take.  

Sandy

Panda ..
on 7/26/11 5:19 am
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 7/26/11 5:34 am, edited 7/26/11 5:35 am
Dr. O'Malley sounds like an ass!!!!

How is old Ra-cha-cha these days? Sometimes I miss the old college stomping grounds.

I live in NYC so I can advise a bit on getting around.

If it were me I would fly into NYC instead of drive. There's a good chance that between tolls, gas and parking (parking costs here are astronomical) you'd either break even, or come very close to the price of a plane ticket. Also, after the surgery you won't be in much shape for driving. Not to mention, it takes nerves of steel to drive in NYC traffic.

Travelling within NYC isn't going to be hellish unless you plan to drive (ick!). You won't need a car if you're staying in NYC for the surgery any way. Public transportation here rocks the house- in fact, I don't even know how to drive a car because I've never needed one here! Subways have a lot of stairs, that's not too comfy post op, and busses are OK unless you get stuck on a crowded one (there won't be any place to sit down). For getting around the city post-op when it hurts to move, I'd recommend a cab for that. They're easy to catch, just stick yer arm out and wave on a corner. If you're not going long distances, they're not that expensive.

Picking a place to stay post op will be the real tricky part. Sadly manhattan is every pricey to stay in, and you'll want to be as close to your doctor's hospital as possible.

Is anyone going with you if you get your surgery in NYC?
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

alaja957
on 7/26/11 5:59 am
Funny enough I am not worried about getting there for the actual surgery I was worried about the number of pre/post-appointments.  With my first RNY I had 6 months of nutrition, psych, pre-op testing, surgery, and 2- weeks out, 4 weeks out, 3 months out just so many appointments. 

The BOB program I am in right now has upper endo, upper GI, psych, nut, even though I have already been through it once. 

Also I have to go through my insurance so I have to see if they will cover the doctor out of the network area. 
adnerb
on 7/26/11 11:50 am
Just a thought and my own opinion of course!  I have seen many vets post on here, "choose your surgery first and then your surgeon."  So, if you do have to go with a doc that is out of network but performs the surgery that is best for you and is a great doc....you will end up so much better of in the long run!

If you are feeling like me...messed up the first time....no room for error again!

So many times most of us are restricted by what the insurance will cover and which doctor is in network.  For me, I no longer have any insurance coverage for WLS (did have coverage for first time around, different ins company now)....so I am self-pay and definitely will go with the doc that is the best possible for me!!!  Of course, I do not have to jump through all the pre insurance hoops either.  But, maybe all of your tests etc. could be forwarded to the other Doc for review??

So, rooting for you!!!
Brenda

walter A.
on 7/26/11 11:19 am, edited 7/26/11 11:20 am - lafayette, NJ
you might just want to take Amtrak into Penn, i forget where Dr roslin is now adays, he moved since i consulted with him,  but a bus or two or a cab should do it. , I aways just drive into the city,  i see three doctors in NYC, two at nyu and one up at Columbia.  its really not bad , just be a little aggressive. and do obey the lights.

if hes closer to grand central switch off to metro north in stamford for a train that goes into grand central on the east side instead of penn which is more on the west side of manhatan.   

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 733 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1033 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 346 views