Well now I'm REALLY confused...to DS or not DS?

Lori F.
on 8/13/11 1:57 pm - Chula Vista, CA
Hi all- Went to the USC "seminar" today and got to hear both Dr. Crookes and Dr. Katkhouda speak. I expected Doctor Katkhouda to diss the DS, but Dr. Crookes really glossed over it too. After the presentation, I asked the docs WHY they consider the RNY the "gold standard" operation as opposed to the DS? They both chuckled and said "because it's a better operation." When I pressed for WHY, Dr. Crookes said that with the DS there are "many problems that crop up later." Now what the heck does THAT mean? I know about the life-long requirements and I am committed to the program for life.

I thought I had this all figured out- I want a DS and  both docs just said it's probably too "big" an operation for me (my BMI is 49).

On these boards, I can't find ANYONE who hates on his/her DS. I see VERY few revisions FROM DS to something else (if any). I haven't really heard of any horror stories of the DS and I've TRIED to find them. What's the real story people? Why are the docs dissing this operation? DO you die after ten years or something? My sister who is an RN says people "die" from the DS...but where's the evidence?? What am I missing? PLEASE help me. I've read EVERYTHING I can find- the DS seems safe enough (with proper follow-up) to me.   Doesa the doc just want to see my comittment and my evidence of research?

I really want to make the RIGHT decision this time- my crap band is KILLING me, and I refuse to EVER AGAIN regain any weight I might lose with another procedure.

They really had me talked into RNY again until I came on OH tonight- someone posted on another forum about revisions- and they were almost all from band and RNY to DS.

What's the scoop??? BTW- I am not new here- just confused. I have read a million articles and done my research- I just want to know why the docs are sooo cautious.

Thanks, all!!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Blank Out
on 8/13/11 2:22 pm
 Because the DS is a more complicated operation that doesn't make them any more $.  They can crank out more RNYs and make a lot more $.  I have never heard of Dr. Katkhouda????  Maybe he really doesn't do the DS?

Also, many surgeons do the  bait and don't "switch".   You are a high BMI, and RNY has a high failure rate with higher BMIs.  I would not ever consider an RNY, never, ever, never, ever!!!!!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Blank Out
on 8/13/11 2:23 pm
 Also, go see Dr. Kershishian, one of the best DS surgeons!  He is in Glendale CA!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Lori F.
on 8/13/11 2:26 pm - Chula Vista, CA
You're right- Dr. Katkhouda doesn't do the DS. He was just there presenting and he jumped on the "diss the DS"  bandwagon! The money thing makes sense... Dr. Crookes did tell me to come see him about the DS, so I will.I 've had trouble getting in to see Dr. Keshishian. I'm working on it! Thanks for the input. I need to hear it!
CW:
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/11 2:26 pm
In *my* opinion, it comes down to money (for their pockets). With the DS, a surgeon might be able to do two or three DS surgeries per day, however with the RnY they could do upwards of 6-8 per day.

When the amounts they get reimbursed by the insurance companies is almost equal (and probably self-pay rates too), why would they want to do the DS when they would make 2-4 times more money with the RnY?
Lori F.
on 8/13/11 2:28 pm - Chula Vista, CA
Money, money, money... it's bummer. But I'm still pursuing it!
CW:
Elizabeth N.
on 8/13/11 2:58 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I'm flying through cuz I'm wiped out, so pardon the brevity. Part of the "people die" thing is that the medical people are conflating DS with older, far more problematic procedures, particularly the JIB and the BPD/Scopinaro procedure.

They are also mostly only aware of horror stories, many of which can be followed back to no patient education, crappy followup and crummy patient compliance. (But notice that two out of three fall very much into the purvey of the medical people. This is only a little bit of "blame the patient."  We DO have to become our own health fanatics for life, or else. But clueless medical people bear a significant chunk of blame, too.)

Band to DS
on 8/14/11 1:20 am, edited 2/3/12 10:37 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Elizabeth N.
on 8/13/11 2:55 pm, edited 8/14/11 1:32 am - Burlington County, NJ
Crookes is no longer a reliable source of DS information, if he ever was. He is a sleeve evangelist. Sorry :-(.

You already cut once. Stay strong and don't believe the bull**** You don't want to cut three times.

ETA: HUGE OOPS! And my apologies. I was too tired to be posting last night and confused Crookes and Cirangle. I take it all back and am very sorry for any anxiety I caused.

Samaro ..
on 8/13/11 3:05 pm
On August 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote:
Crookes is no longer a reliable source of DS information, if he ever was. He is a sleeve evangelist. Sorry :-(.

You already cut once. Stay strong and don't believe the bull**** You don't want to cut three times.
EN, can you fill me in on the sleeve evangelist thing?  This isn't my experience with him or with locals who go see him for a DS.  If this is what's happening I'd love to know so that I can do the most help locally.

Thanks.

~S

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1054 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1217 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 506 views