Dr. Erik Wilson - Yes you all told me so!!!!

kmg9122
on 8/18/11 11:27 am - Spring, TX
So, I have waffled between Dr. Stewart in Denton and Dr. Erik Wilson in Houston where I live.   Between my job, finances and kids, I had a really hard time committing to my insurance-mandated 3 months of seeing the surgeon prior to surgery and traveling 4 hours each way each month (not to mention the actual surgery), so I decided to go ahead and move forward with Dr. Wilson's group.  While I liked Dr. Wilson when I met him and he was supportive of my having DS surgery, I was unhappy with 1) the fact I had to see one specific psych for an eval that was $300 cash only and not someone I would have ever chosen to see; 2) would have had to participate in an Overeaters program for some specific time frame; and, finally, 3) the NUT was very negative about my having a DS to the point I had to stop the consult and ask her what  the problem was, why she was so mad.  So July was month one, and I just went to month two (of the three required).  I was kind of dreading meeting with her again (NUT is main contact for three month regimen) but she was really nice when I got there.  Then she explained that my case had been brought to their "revision board" and I was declined for DS surgery for my low-ish BMI.  My BMI is 41.5 with a lap band fully inflated.  Definitely MO and within the limits for the surgery.  But not according to their center.  They were only willing to do an RNY on me.  What really pissed me off was I didn't even get the courtesy of a phone call prior to my walking in there so I was completely caught off guard.  I went ahead, at her suggestion - and again she was being nice - and finished the consult  so I can transfer the full two months to Dr. Stewart. 

Many of you have said all along to go to Stewart.  Period.  And I agreed with all of you, really.  I had flag after flag with Dr. Wilson's group but I felt like ultimately he was still a good surgeon and it would be more doable for me logistically.  NOT.

I'm sharing this mostly because I know a lot of you keep track of surgeons and patient experiences and hopefully it will come in handy the next time someone asks questions about Dr. Erik Wilson.  I found it to be a really disappointing experience.

Denton, here I come. (-:

Kathi - Houston, Texas
2008 - Lap Band  Hoping for revision to DS Mar 2012
Jewel506 is my Angel!

larra
on 8/18/11 11:37 am - bay area, CA
Of course you're disappointed right now, but this will work out so much better for you in the long run. The travel will be worth it, and you will get the medical treatment that is right for you.

Larra
kmg9122
on 8/18/11 11:50 am - Spring, TX
Thanks, Larra!  I agree.  Dr. Stewart has a lot more experience with revisions and the DS and this is definitely where I should have been all along.  Thanks for your kind words!

Kathi - Houston, Texas
Jewel506 is my Angel!

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 12:16 pm
A very wise move if you ask me, but then I might be a little biased.
kmg9122
on 8/18/11 11:13 pm - Spring, TX
Thanks, Slim!  You're one of my heroes on here! 

Kathi - Houston, Texas
Jewel506 is my Angel!

pycca
on 8/19/11 3:10 pm - Haslet, TX
Me TOO  !!!  alot of us with DR Stewart are a bit biased!! LOL

Deb
nightowl
on 8/18/11 12:52 pm - Topeka, KS
I'm sorry you had to put up with so much crap.
Thank you for the public service of sharing your story.
kmg9122
on 8/18/11 11:16 pm - Spring, TX
Thanks, Nightowl.  Live and learn.

Kathi - Houston, Texas
Jewel506 is my Angel!

Paula R.
on 8/18/11 3:17 pm - Portland, OR
I think you made a really good decision for yourself.  Ive heard positive things about Dr. Stewart and have no doubt you are going to be in great hands.

BTW...kudos to you for standing up for yourself and going after what you want, not what they tell you you can have.
My signature is in the witness protection program

kmg9122
on 8/18/11 11:20 pm - Spring, TX
I am excited about seeing Dr. Stewart.  I knew I should have been there all along.  I just don't think an RNY is for me.  I already have hypoglycemic issues and I don't want yet another surgery that doesn't work for me.  I think in this case, all things happen for a reason.  Have a great day!

Kathi - Houston, Texas
Jewel506 is my Angel!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 433 views