Rate of vsg to ds revision bc of regain or failure to lose?

Emily F.
on 8/30/11 8:10 am
 This is just me being curious. Seems like docs are doing sleeves after sleeves for anybody in my town. I'm just curious if the rate of sleeve to ds revision is going up bc of regain or failure to lose. I would guess there will be some regain for some of the population. Is it just too soon to tell? I don't mean people who knew they were getting a ds in two parts, I mean regain or failure to lose.
erinmt1023
on 8/30/11 10:51 am - TX
I'm getting a sleeve so I too would like to know the answer to this.
ERIN   HW 258/ SW 245/ CW 231/ GW 150
Jeff Z.
on 8/31/11 6:37 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 My assumption (which perhaps is just stating the obvious), is that given the fact the sleeve has no malabsorption aspect, leaves a patient with a larger stomach than say an RNY patient, and after 12-24 months allows most people to eat about a 1/3 of what they could pre-op leads to an easier chance of regaining or simply not being able to lose a greater amount.

My sleeve was part of a two stage approach with the hopes of getting it revised to a DS (at the time the DS was not really being offered anymore in my province, and I was also classified high risk so a two-stage approach was all that was offered).

I wouldn't say the sleeve is not effective, but of course there will be as you said some who will regain or not see their "tool" as being effective due to the some of the reasons I alluded to above.

Hopefully my opinion on the matter makes some semblance of sense.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 9:11 pm
I don't count mine as a revision as I went into it knowing I was going to have the DS, but because I was super high risk (620 on the operating table) there wasn't a surgeon around who would touch me.  I still only have the sleeve and am down to 473, and Im pretty much stuck here. I have lost all of 5 lbs since march.  I am now fighting with the surgical team to put me on the waiting list for the DS part. I am just over a year out.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 628 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 985 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 337 views