Anyone lose significant weight after 2nd anniversary?

BetsyDP
on 9/19/11 2:03 pm - East Lansing, MI
I just had my 2nd surgiversary last month and realized I only lost 21 pounds in the last year.  I'm still considered "obsese".  Am I out of my losing window to get to a normal BMI?  I still need to lose 45lbs!!!!  Is it possible?  I really haven't been watching my carb intake, so I'm wondering if I lower the carbs I could continue to lose?

beemerbeeper
on 9/19/11 2:17 pm - AL
Why weren't you watching your carbs if you still needed to lose weight?  Most people find they can still lose weight if they get the carbs very low, the protein high and get their fluids in.

I recommend you join the Bites and Vites thread and post there every day to be accountable.  You'll find good support there as well as good low-carb ideas.

~Becky

elixir
on 9/19/11 3:03 pm - MI
Dr Kemmeter told me prior to surgery that a DSers style of eating is very similar to the Atkins diet, which means low carb. Get some Atkins or low-carb cookbooks, or google some low carb recipes to help you lose the rest of the weight, then be very cautious about which carbs you re-introduce to your diet after you get to the weight you are happy with to avoid regain. Low carb is a pretty easy lifestyle to maintain, even Dr. K follows a low-carb lifestyle to stay healthy.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/11 3:21 pm
I thought I was done losing, bought a BUNCH of clothes and lost 35# more  during years 3 - 4. I am now 6+ years out and maintaing that loss. + - 5#

Michele
newyorkbitch
on 9/19/11 6:22 pm
If you want to lose more weight,  you must cut the carbs.
z85sparty
on 9/19/11 10:48 pm - Mason, MI
If you still want to lose weight, you have to watch your carb intake.  At 18 months out I am happy with where I'm at so I've lossened my carb intake a little bit, but I still watch it.

I don't really understand if you still had about 66 pounds to lose why you haven't been low carbing it for the past year+.  That was your prime weight loss time and the number one thing us DSer's know is low carb, high protein, lots of fluids! 

I am sure your DS will still work; however, it is going to take a lot of self control with your carbs.  In my opinion your looking at needing to be under 50 grams of carbs per day and above 150 grams of protein. 

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

yorkieGal
on 9/20/11 1:38 am - Clermont, FL
HI Hon, I am afraid that Low carb is the only way you stand a chance of losing the rest of your weight. I would add some cardio in to the mix too!!
I follow a low carb diet most of the time ****asional slip ups ) and manage to hold onto my weight loss but I know If I went long term loose with the carbs I think I would regain so much.
Don't despair, we're not beating you up for not low carbing in the last year but its time to cut those carbs girlie!!
I agree that posting on the vites & bites thread is gonna help you, put at the top of the post that you are trying to go low carb to lose the last 45lbs , that way if anyone can see where you can cut some more they will feel OK mentioning it to you!!

Hugs,

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Julie R.
on 9/20/11 1:47 am - Ludington, MI
Ditto to what everybody else has said, and I know it's an issue that's been discussed with you before - so now you just gotta do it.   It's really not that hard.    There are low carb substitutes out there for many things.   I would highly recommend a great cookbook by Dana Carpender called something like 500 Low Carb Recipes.   There's another one called 500 More Low Carb recipes too.   Both have outstanding and easy to make recipes.    Lots of people have lost huge amounts of weight by low-carbing, and even into their third or fourth years.   Kilaani (Jill) was SSMO and has done very very well by keeping her carbs low, and continues to maintain.   You can do this, Betsy, if you really want to.

In regard to the gluten issues.   Ditto again.   The vast majority of us ARE gluten sensitive.   I am the poster child for gluten intolerance.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

NoMore B.
on 9/20/11 7:17 am
 Ditto what everyone else said.

Case in point, I'm almost 2 years out.  I'm at a normal BMI and pretty much leveled off about 6 months ago.  My husband was away for a week on business, and I got busy with work myself and didnt feel much like cooking. For almost a week I had a protein shake for dinner.  I changed nothing else in my daily eating patterns other than that.  By the end of the week I had dropped 4 more pounds.

PS, they came back once I started eating again, but then again I'm not a big carb watcher.  I say that because I'm happy where I am, but I also know how easy it would be to drop a few more pounds if I just cut them out.
yorkieGal
on 9/20/11 7:47 am - Clermont, FL
That's cool Joanne, I am trying to lose a litle regain so this might be something I could do - maybe a protein shake for lunch and snack instead of my usual choices!! You look fab btw!!

Yorkie x

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1022 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1189 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 480 views