Binders (and other undergarmet advice)

ThisIsMyUserName
on 10/30/11 3:06 pm
Hello,

Finally got my surgery date and I've been reading about binders here. From what I'm reading some people get them and some dont. Some wear them for weeks and some don't and in the same vain some people love them and some people don't. I'm thinking I will want one. As it is now, I hate when my big ole belly just flaps and hangs and jiggles. I always wear a cami/tank for belly support.  Sorry if thats TMI. I am not sure if the hospital will provide one, but either way I would like to purchase my own. I went looking this weekend and got majorly confused. I see shapers that are like swimsuits, and what almost looks like a waist cincher. I am a clothes size 22/24 or 3X. Anyone care to share what kinda binder they used after surgery? Where to shop for one? And who would carry the larger ones like I need? Also, the larger sized body shapers seemed to be the kind where u wear your own bra...How hard is it putting on a bra immediately post op? What kind of undergarmets did you wear post op? Im asking because Im reading that there are...difficulties after using bathroom. So I was wondering if one can hardly wipe their own bum post op, how are people putting on bra's and binders and etc?
goodkel
on 10/30/11 3:49 pm
I didn't get a binder, but my surgeon did wrap my horizontal incision in an Ace bandage and that helped. Many people are swollen after surgery from gas, water weight, and/or inflammation from surgery so it's not possible to foretell what size you will need.

From what I've read, the binders only go around your abdomen and shouldn't interfere with your bathroom visits at all.

You will be very sore and probably shouldn't have too much restriction near your incision. If your surgeon doesn't use binders, ask for an Ace bandage. It worked fine for me.

I don't wear underwear and did not use body shapers until I was fully healed. Putting on a bra was never a problem.

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

butercup
on 10/30/11 5:26 pm - Kennewick, WA
I wish I knew about getting one. It would have helped a lot. Some people even get one while they're in the hospital. Better to be safe than sorry. Or rather holding your stomach up with your hands because letting it hang hurts too damn much. Just get one.
teachmid
on 10/30/11 9:53 pm - OKC, OK
Mine was on when I woke up from anesthesia and I ended up with a second one at the hospital. I wore it 24/7 for 6 weeks and the support really helped while healing.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

April M.
on 10/31/11 12:01 pm - MI
Ditto what Gail said... Woke up with it, got a second one in the hospital, never needed another one, but wore it for about 6 weeks for the support... although by that time it was driving me up a wall (but my surgeon asked me to wear it as long as possible, and what he says goes, for surgery and recovery anyway).

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

fullhousemom
on 10/31/11 12:45 am
I too woke up from anesthesia with one on. I only used it for a week. It covered below my breasts to just below my belly button, which is where my open incision was. I believe that is the primary purpose....to keep your incision in tact. My doc told me to wear it when I walk and dont wear it to bed at night. He said that it can interfere with deep breathing, which is very important to avoid pneumonia.

Also, I had my staples taken out at two weeks and didnt wear a bra during that time. My bra interfered with the staples. I find it so comfortable that I frequently dont wear one and layer my clothes so no one notices. I was never really "gifted" in that department!
buffalobillsfan
on 10/31/11 1:02 am - CA
I asked for a binder the day before I left the hospital so I was sure to leave with one.  It took them a bit of time to find one that would fit and it's not the top priority.  It was a godsend for me.  The large gut (made extra large from post-op swelling and gas) was heavy and pulled which causes more soreness.  The binder holds it all in plus helped take pressure off my back.  These are not the same as undergarments/body shapers to make you look better.  Honestly, I could not have cared less what I looked like for several weeks.  I don't think I wore a bra unless I had to.  The binder made it much easier to use the bathroom, get up and down from the couch, etc.  It was also helpful for going over bumps in the car. 
Let the hospital provide you with and fit you for the binder.  I wouldn't worry about body shapers for a while.   Your sizes will change so frequently that you might be wasting money. 

prettypixels
on 10/31/11 2:04 pm
 They looked at me like I'd grown an extra ear when I asked about a binder.  I am sure different hospitals are different about it!

Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

ThisIsMyUserName
on 10/31/11 3:18 am
Thanks to all *****plied!! I don't want the body shaper for shaping my body!!! LOL no no no, Oh my goodness no! I would be using it for support for the belly, not to look good in clothes! I mentioned the body shapers versus the waist cinchers because thats what was in the stores. I wear my maternity nursing tanks for support. There is a teensy bit of spandex or whatever that provides like an ounce of support. Im thinking that after surgery it will really drive me crazy just to be loose, and flapping and sliding all over the place. Especially in the boobie area Im a 42ddd, without a proper bra Im likely to smother myself. My thinking is that even if I get a binder from the hospital, it will be...gross after a while hygenically speaking. I also am thinking that several weeks after surgery, say 6 or 7 or 8 or 9, i will want support but not in the form of my maternity tanks, which COULD be where a body shaper comes in. Again, not for the shaping of my body or looking good, but strictly for belly support. But again, thanks to all *****plied.
prettypixels
on 10/31/11 2:03 pm
I have ordered two to try; I swear the material they are made with must be used to pave roads or something, it is so heavy and scratchy and the idea of wearing it makes me want to cry. I know not everyone is so sensitive to fabrics, though. What I am wearing is my Bella band I had from my pregnancy, and you could easily do that as well.

http://www.ingridandisabel.com/category/ingrid-isabel-catalog/bellaband

If you are super sensitive to itchy fabrics like I am, look into it. There are other varieties of belly band too (and Target sells a knockoff Bella band), but I think this may be more supportive than some of the others. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 435 views